Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

In this Discussion

Lube: an annoying question
  • isvara
    One of the great questions many of us beginners have and one which drive most senior members up the wall is "What lube". I think we ask the question because we want to know the options and choices we have. We want to get on and do ‘as little damage’ as possible on the way.

It might be good to have a reference table of the combinations members use as some combinations may be reactive and we can learn to avoid these. This may stop the endless questions as the mechanics of Aneros are fairly new and there is little common knowledge about what is good for those "just awakened". The Internet has too many axes being ground to be a safe guide.

My notes:
    1. Much of the lube applied to the Aneros is squeezed off during entry, 2. only what is in the canal is pushed forward to the inner sphincter where it is needed. 3. I feel inner slipperiness over the prostate is needed for me at my stage.

What I have tried:
    I started with water based KY jelly. Good, safe but can have unpleasant after-effects especially in long sessions and if used as a pre-Lube in any quantity (5ml seems to be the max). Some folk react badly to it (Poll).

Vaseline is good but I was not sure about using it as a pre-lube. I did not think it was enough by itself. It does not dry out which is good. Not easy to clean up if used in large quantities. Works okay with KY jelly as a pre lube but this has problems (see above).

Vaseline in the outer sphincter and on the Aneros and olive oil as a pre-lube works well, the olive oil also helps cleans up the Vaseline afterwards.

Silicone (Pjur) was good. Silicone is relatively new product and the no clear indication regarding its use. I am not sure if it should be used as a pre-lube. It would seem to be okay. It may work well with olive oil if silicone pre-lube is unadvisable. Bit resistant to clean up but make for smooth BM later. Need advice here.

Regarding shea butter I have just been given a product source in Oz and it is now on order. Suppositories sound good and fun in making.

I hope other can add their wisdom for us 'greenies'
    isvara

isvara
  • rookrook
    I think Isvara has done a great job with just this post and it's a good summary of what's out there and what's been already written on this topic.

"Personal Lubes" tend to be quite personal and we have a wide range of tastes in the Forum. Many of us combine two lubricants for a session and our tastes vary with the type of session we anticipate. Road Warrior lube may be different from what we prefer to use at home.

Men, new to anal play, tend to be somewhat adverse or shy about deeply lubricating themselves and have different needs and preferences than do 'old timers.' So, over the length of one's 'Journey' personal tastes and desires for a lube may change/evolve.

Shea Butter blends are attractive as they can be formulated to be solid at room temperature yet melt as they approach body temperature.
  • Badger
    I personally have found Slippery Stuff Gel, injected inside, to be quite safe, very slippery, and very long lasting. I also put a thin film of Vaseline on the Aneros model of choice, of which a portion ends up outside of the outer sphincter, keeping it slippery (beware of too much; it stains everything on outside when running off). If you don't use something like Vaseline there, the water-based lubes, like Slippery Stuff Gel, will dry out and the portion exposed to the air will stick to the sphincter, limiting movement.
  • isvara
    Badger
    Thanks I will add this combination to my new table. It over comes the glycerine problem. Vaseline or something similar is essential as you say. It is not very common in Oz.
    I will check if it appropriate before I eventually post it. Even writing it down has been helpful to me.
    isvara
  • PommiePommie
    Thoughts on Lubrication

Over the past almost three years I have experimented with various materials and combinations of lube but have found that no single substance does the job well in all circumstances. I usually find that it is necessary to use a pre-lube as well as covering the chosen Aneros tool with a lubricant which can be relied upon to last the distance for the planned length of one’s session.

The pre-lube generally needs to be fluid enough that it can be injected well into the rectum, or solid enough that it can be inserted in the form of a plug but break down to almost liquid form once it has been raised to body temperature.

Another requirement of a lube is that it must be relatively easy to handle and not require a lot of preparation before setting up a session.

Not long into my journey, I discovered unrefined shea butter through this site.

http://www.aneros.com/forum/f5/unrefined-shea-butter-how-much-12757/

I would emphasise that I use only certified unrefined shea butter since this is the only form, which can be guaranteed not to contain chemicals that may only be suitable for external use. This is still my favourite lube but it still does have a few problems. For many Aneros users it may not be easy to obtain and is not usually available for purchase over-the-counter. It is normally available in minimum quantities of 250gm and this raises the question of its shelf life. It should also be stored in a refrigerator. In warmer climates, it becomes difficult to handle but usually not so thin that it can be handled as a liquid.

Nevertheless, shea butter remains my preferred lube since I know it will last the distance of my session regardless of how long that might be. I do have the advantage of having a little bar fridge in the office that is next door to my bedroom. In the freezer compartment of that fridge, I always have on hand two or three little balls of shea butter, scooped from its storage jar using a quarter-teaspoon stainless steel kitchen measure. The little plugs finish up being about 3ml and, when frozen, will slip easily into place when required.

Preparation for a session involves making one of these plugs and covering the selected tool with a thin film of shea butter. At the start of a session, I normally squirt about 2ml ‘Wet Stuff” (water-based lubricant) into the anus using an eyedropper, insert the frozen plug of shea butter and follow that with the tool.

This might sound a bit complicated but the regime does add somehow to the sense of anticipation! If my session is to take place on going to bed at night, this is the method I use. It is also the only satisfactory method if the selected tool is one of the larger models such as the Progasm, Vice or Maximus.

In recent months I have discovered that my best sessions take place around 6 to 8AM. For these, the above procedure is far too complicated and inconvenient. For them, I prepare the tool the night before by covering it with a thin film of Vaseline. I also prepare a syringe containing about 2ml KY gel for use as a pre-lube. As well, I have a little jar of the gel on hand to dip the tool into at the time of insertion. This has the advantage that it takes only a few seconds to set in motion and I can do it in the dark! I reason that if Vaseline has been used for many years as a soothing balm for babies without any apparent harm, then it should be OK for me! I actually find it only marginally more difficult to clean up than shea butter.

The disadvantages with this method are that it really works best with the smaller tools (Peridise, Eupho, MGX, and Helix), and I’m not sure that it is much good for any session that would run for more than a couple of hours at the most. I am aware that one very experienced user (Dave ten_s_nut), uses Vaseline on his Vice but it may be that the surface of that tool lends itself to the use of Vaseline. It just happens that my current favourite tools are the smaller ones.

I should also mention the “Natural Jelly”.

http://www.aneros.com/forum/f5/best-lube-probe-thick-rich-best-price-walgreens-com-11942/#post70835

I believe Natural Jelly was invented by Aneros guru “Rumel”. I made a small quantity of this about two years ago but haven’t used it lately. It contains almond oil and I have also used Walnut oil (also recommended by ten_s_nut). It seems to be a problem that is unique to me but I have found that any oil I use tends to leak all over the place and makes a mess on the sheets.

In summary, shea butter seems to be the solution for night time sessions and especially for the larger models, while Vaseline seems right for early morning sessions with the smaller models or for short sessions.

One final point! It seems to me that a distinct advantage of stainless steel as a material for anal tools is that, as far as lubrication goes, anything is fine. The Tempo works well with any lubrication and seemingly without the tendency to dry out. Am I wrong?

BTW, to isvara, you can pick up Vaseline in any supermarket in the babycare section, and it is inexpensive!

Sorry to everyone that this seems interminably long but that is my view of lube, which I do believe to be important. It’s a deal breaker if you get it wrong.
  • The_BishopThe_Bishop
    Natural Jelly is the best in my opinion.

Natural Jelly
    formula

3 (400 IU) vitamin E capsules (contents only - not the capsule casing). Vitamin E has antioxidant properties which nourish and protect your skin, and it acts as a natural preservative to prolong the shelf life of your Natural Jelly.
    1/4 tsp. shea butter (this is optional, but it adds a certain creaminess to the mixture)
    1 tsp. beeswax
    3 tblsp. almond oil, olive oil or coconut oil (your choice)

Step 1.) Place all ingredients in the top of a double boiler setup, heat and stir until all ingredients are dissolved.
    Step 2.) Remove the mix from heat and stir the ingredients constantly as your petroleum jelly alternative cools and thickens. While still slightly warm, scoop the jelly mixture into a dark glass jar and leave unsealed to cool completely.
    Step 3.) Keep your Natural Jelly in a cool, dark place, or in your refrigerator. Use it as you would use commercial petroleum jelly.

You can adjust the viscosity of the mix by increasing/decreasing the oil proportions. The advantage of this mixture over natural oils alone is the increased viscosity due to the presence of the beeswax. The beeswax is the key to insuring good lubricity between you and your Aneros as it creates a micro thin film which holds well to the plastic. I’ve used this mix for my last couple of sessions and have found it to be a very satisfactory natural lubricant.
  • twlltintwlltin
    My variation on this, with metric volume measures: Natural Jelly - Aneros Blog Entry
  • jocco
    I loved grapeseed oil until i discovered it made me itchy, which I suspect is a mild allergic reaction. I loved how slick it was and especially how easy it was to clean up, since it wants to absorb into your skin... my question to you all is what would be a good substitute to grapeseed oil? I guess shea butter is next on my list, but it would be nice to use something i could grab at the grocery store...

Jocco
  • twlltintwlltin
    Try any of the oils there: olive, coconut, sunflower, walnut, etc. etc.
  • jocco
    thanks twl, hey long time no talk!
  • jocco
    I think sunflower will be my next endeavor... cheap and is good for cooking with if my body doesn't jive with it