Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

In this Discussion

New to Aneros? Relax like this...
  • ten_s_nutten_s_nut
    Hello, new Aneros users.

The main key to the Super-O is learning to relax. Here's a reliable method:

Progressive Relaxation

1. Lie down on a firm surface
    Close your eyes.

2. Attend to your breathing
    Pay attention to your breathing and allow it to deepen. Take a few complete breaths by moving your diaphragm down slightly while inhaling, pushing the abdomen out and drawing air into the lungs from the bottom up. Allow yourself to sigh deeply on the exhale, letting tension escape as you do so.

3. Progressively tense and relax each muscle group
    Tense and then relax all the muscle groups in your body, one at a time. Begin with your dominant arm. Bend your hand backward at the wrist, as if you are trying to place the back of the hand on your forearm. Hold it tight for five to ten seconds. Pay attention to the tension. Release the tension and relax. Note the difference. Tense and relax again. Pause for twenty to thirty seconds as you take a deep abdominal breath, then exhale slowly. Repeat the procedure for the other hand. Then repeat the tension-relaxation-tension-relaxation sequence for your forearms, upper arms, forehead, jaws, neck, shoulders, abdomen, back, buttocks, legs, and feet. Pause between each major muscle group, take a deep breath, and release more tension in a sigh.

4. Let go of all tension
    After you have worked through all muscle groups, let them go limp. Wherever you feel tension, perform an additional tense-and-relax sequence. Cultivate the image of tension flowing out of your body like an invisible fluid. Every time you tense and relax, remind yourself that the relaxation is greater than the tension that preceded it.

You may find that having a calm music track playing helps. A dark room may be helpful as well.

Reference: E. Jacobsen, Progressive Relaxation (Chicago: University of Chicago Press, 1958).

Best wishes and good luck,

Dave
  • PommiePommie
    I love this idea but it seems to me you would need to devote a period of free time to complete this sequence even once.

How long do you have in mind?
  • rumelrumel
    ten_s_nut,

Thanks for the additional relaxation exercise, the Aneros WIKI, Getting Started -> Breathing section provides another link to a relaxation exercise through Deep Valley Breathing.
  • Billy11
    This is the exact meditation routine that is on one of my Yoga Nidra cds. The only difference is the breathing out with a sigh which isn't on the cd. I'll give that a try. I just did the sigh on the out breath and it feels like it's similar to the KSMO feeling when making the "key sound".
  • ten_s_nutten_s_nut
    Billy;
    Yes, this is an oldie. Note the publication date of 1958. I'll bet it was derived from 1,000 year-old Yoga techniques.

rumel;
    I'll see if I can find an e-reference and send it to you. This one is copied almost word for word from the book.

Pommie;
    If you take your time, the whole exercise would take about 30 minutes. I admit I shortcut through the routine, taking about 10 minutes. As long as you can get to the end result, I don't think you have to do every muscle group, especially if you know in advance where you store tension in your body. For me, that's shoulders, butt and legs. I "work" those and call it a day.

Cheers,

Dave
  • B MayfieldB Mayfield
    Nice...an oldie but goodie! Given how essential relaxation is to the Super O it is strange how many people devote so little time to it! Relaxation is to the Super O what warm up exercises are to an effective workout!

Just do it!

BF Mayfield