Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

In this Discussion

Contractions - How to?
  • Hello all,

I just got my Helix on Thursday, and I've been reading a lot of the material about how to best enjoy it. My biggest problem so far is that I can't seem to voluntarily contract. Everything I've read so far just says to contract and relax, but doesn't tell me how to make that happen. Is it assumed that this is just something everyone can automatically do, or did I miss some important directions somewhere?

Thanks for any and all help!
  • rumelrumel
    (Note : Underlined Text is a Hyper-Link)
    Hi Another Helix User,

Welcome to the Aneros Forum,

I suggest you read about your Pelvic Floor muscles in The Aneros WIKI for information to identify the important muscle groups.
  • Well, the problem is, I don't seem to have the power to just think "anal sphincter! contract!" and have it happen, which seems to be the most basic concept to make this thing move. :?
  • Good day to you AHU,

OK, the easiest way to describe the actions we refer to as "contractions" is that they are the same muscles you use or "contract" to stop your urine flow, those would be your "pc" muscles, and the other contractions are your "anal" muscles for your anal sphincter and they're the same ones used when having a bowel movement...you relax them to allow the bm and contract them when finished. Is that clear enough?

So, to practice the use of these muscles and muscle groups, simply do the same thing you do when you're stopping your urination or a bm. You can do this practice in any position, sitting down, standing up or lying down.

These are the primary muscles for controlling your Helix. You really shouldn't have to work at it too much, as they will react pretty much involuntarily once your aneros is in place. Active contractions involve the exercises I just describes.

Does this help?

C
  • I appreciate the response. I feel like I have a good understanding of what these muscles are, but I still don't feel like I can voluntarily control them outside of the bathroom situations you described. When having a BM or urinating, I don't really feel like I'm consciously doing anything other than allowing it to happen. Obviously, I have enough control not to soil myself, but I can't seem to translate that into any kind of intentional contractions.
  • dtmsmith
    [quote=Another Helix User]I appreciate the response. I feel like I have a good understanding of what these muscles are, but I still don't feel like I can voluntarily control them outside of the bathroom situations you described. When having a BM or urinating, I don't really feel like I'm consciously doing anything other than allowing it to happen. Obviously, I have enough control not to soil myself, but I can't seem to translate that into any kind of intentional contractions.
    So, when you pee, do you do anythng to squeeze out the last bit of urine? I do and it's a completely volutary action. I contract 3-4 times to make sure the bladder is emptied. If you do this, these are the PC muscles at work. Pay attention next time you pee; maybe you'll notice something like this.
  • dtmsmith said:

So, when you pee, do you do anythng to squeeze out the last bit of urine? I do and it's a completely volutary action. I contract 3-4 times to make sure the bladder is emptied. If you do this, these are the PC muscles at work. Pay attention next time you pee; maybe you'll notice something like this.

Thanks! That may be something I can work with. The next time I do that, I'll try to pay attention to what I'm actually doing there, and see if I can do it again later. When would that kind of contraction be used though in regards to the Helix?

The anal sphincter contraction seems to be the most important one, and that still eludes me - the closest I've gotten so far is a sort of split-second spasm that I can't produce consistently, nothing resembling the "contract and relax as slowly as possible" that I feel like I'm supposed to be doing. I lie there, breath deep for a while, get relaxed, and then I'm just there trying to figure out how to move a muscle that won't react to my brain commands. I mean, I feel like I might as well be trying to wiggle my ears, for all the results I'm getting.
  • cyrez said:

I can wiggle my ears but i cant get the aneros to actually work.

How do you actually amplify a involuntary flutter, any tips or trix?

I think a good way to amplify an involuntary flutter is to hold an anal contraction until the muscle gets weak and starts to shake, much like hold a heavy weight above the head, eventually the arms shake and quiver from strain. Straining the anal muscles in this manner gets the Aneros moving quite well! So, if you can hold anal contractions, hold them as long as you can, and the muscle should start to shake when it's ready to fail. This will cause the Aneros to quiver right at the P-Spot. If you have great control with your muscles, and can hold a contraction for a long time, squeeze tighter. The muscles will begin to shake. :) That's my advice at least.
  • dtmsmith
    [quote=Another Helix User]
    dtmsmith said:

Thanks! That may be something I can work with. The next time I do that, I'll try to pay attention to what I'm actually doing there, and see if I can do it again later. When would that kind of contraction be used though in regards to the Helix?

The anal sphincter contraction seems to be the most important one, and that still eludes me - the closest I've gotten so far is a sort of split-second spasm that I can't produce consistently, nothing resembling the "contract and relax as slowly as possible" that I feel like I'm supposed to be doing. I lie there, breath deep for a while, get relaxed, and then I'm just there trying to figure out how to move a muscle that won't react to my brain commands. I mean, I feel like I might as well be trying to wiggle my ears, for all the results I'm getting.

Getting an aneros to work is not about the mechanics. It's about tuning into subtle feelings and playing around with them. If you haven't already read the wiki, you should. If you have, then I would suggest to just lay there and see what happens. If you're relaxed enough, at some point you will feel something. Focus your mind on that feeling but don't try to make anything happen. As many have said, don't focus on an end-goal, but enjoy letting your body surprise you with new feelings. Sometimes, the less you try, the more you get out of it. It may take a while; just be patient.
  • Badger
    rikaaim said:

I think a good way to amplify an involuntary flutter is to hold an anal contraction until the muscle gets weak and starts to shake, much like hold a heavy weight above the head, eventually the arms shake and quiver from strain. Straining the anal muscles in this manner gets the Aneros moving quite well!

Not for me! I sometimes wake up with a cramp in my anus, that's right, my anus. Excruciatingly painful, and the only thing I can do is sit on the toilet and relax for a half-hour or so, and maybe fart a little; little to nothing comes out. The muscles don't quiver at all, but then again, I seem to be a medical oddity.
  • Badger said:

Not for me! I sometimes wake up with a cramp in my anus, that's right, my anus. Excruciatingly painful, and the only thing I can do is sit on the toilet and relax for a half-hour or so, and maybe fart a little; little to nothing comes out. The muscles don't quiver at all, but then again, I seem to be a medical oddity.

I have this, too. I believe this is called "nocturnal proctalgia". It's painful, and AFAIK there's no known cure. (It generally wakes me up at night, too, and there's nothing I can do for 20 to 40 minutes, until it goes away on its own).

The anal muscle contractions/fluttering we're talking about here are quite different from the proctalgia cramps. So at least for me so far, no amount of "holding anal contractions" has resulted in any proctalgia at all. And, in fact, the contraction suggestions so far have resulted in some VERY VERY pleasurable sensations. So, I say "go for it anyway"! :-)
  • Badger
    Wow, I didn't know it was an uncurable ailment. Bummer. Mine seem to be caused when I have a slight urge to have a BM before I go to bed, but don't follow through. Sometimes I can go several months to over a year between incidents, but they have been more frequent in the last few years.

I've tried to cause fluttering in my anus as you described, but I can't seem to make it happen. However, I've noticed some pleasurable vibrating sensations when I set a certain way with my Peridise inserted, though.
  • dtmsmith said:

Getting an aneros to work is not about the mechanics. It's about tuning into subtle feelings and playing around with them. If you haven't already read the wiki, you should. If you have, then I would suggest to just lay there and see what happens. If you're relaxed enough, at some point you will feel something. Focus your mind on that feeling but don't try to make anything happen. As many have said, don't focus on an end-goal, but enjoy letting your body surprise you with new feelings. Sometimes, the less you try, the more you get out of it. It may take a while; just be patient.

I've read a lot of the wiki, and skimmed the rest. This is where I feel stuck:

The contraction exercises are fundamental to effective use of your massager.

from here: http://wiki.malegspot.com/index.php?title=Getting_Started#Contraction_exercises

I may try just doing nothing next time, but I feel like being able to create intentional contractions is going to be necessary, unless I am misunderstanding something.
  • slimjm
    I have it too, Badger. It's called proctalgia fugax and though there are various inciting factors known to those who suffer with it, my episodes come sometimes after traditional ejaculatory sex with my wife. Same pain pattern, severe cramping pain in the anus back to the tailbone area lasting about 30 minutes. I would just lie curled up in bed moaning till it passed though I hear for some taking a hot sitz bath is supposed to help. Seems like starting using the Aneros this past 6 months has made it virtually go away however.
  • Badger
    slimjm said:

I have it too, Badger. It's called proctalgia fugax and though there are various inciting factors known to those who suffer with it, my episodes come sometimes after traditional ejaculatory sex with my wife. Same pain pattern, severe cramping pain in the anus back to the tailbone area lasting about 30 minutes. I would just lie curled up in bed moaning till it passed though I hear for some taking a hot sitz bath is supposed to help. Seems like starting using the Aneros this past 6 months has made it virtually go away however.

Wow, I'm glad mine's not as severe as yours, slimjm. Mine only bothers every once in a while as I sleep.