Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

In this Discussion

remove me from the forums
  • Hi I would like to be removed from the forums because my username is searchable and links to this site in google.

Thanks
  • baloo
    The man speaks the truth... I just checked it myself...

Rather disconcerting... but doubtful that anyone I know would ever think to find me here.
  • wohdin
    It's not like that will just go away if you're "removed"... Google caches pages.

And you have a rather innocuous username, so what's the issue? My username is the same I use pretty much everywhere on the Internet, I don't care... 8)
  • aliquis
    wohdin said:

It's not like that will just go away if you're "removed"... Google caches pages.

And you have a rather innocuous username, so what's the issue? My username is the same I use pretty much everywhere on the Internet, I don't care... 8)

Others do, but they should had thought about it before.

It's hard to get removed on some forums, especially since one may have contributed in threads and such. Should be able to remove the user name from those posts though, like replacing them with "removed user" or something such.

Resultat 1 - 10 av ungefär 74 000 vid sökning efter aliquis forum. (0,25 sekunder)

Oh well ;D
  • Your screenname is not your real name so what's the worry? You can remove your posts from anywhere you want on here.
  • Trying to get something removed from the Internet is like standing neck deep in a swimming pool and trying to pee out.
  • This forum is a bit different though. You can click edit and remove your post(s). I've done it and seen it done before.
  • I too used a name that I’m well known by, I figured that if anyone I knew came to this forum then they must also be interested in Aneros. Therefore, if they found one of my posts it would not matter, as they would most likely be similar minded people.

However, I know there are some people out there who would disapprove. Also I had mentioned some private information in my posts that made mention of my wife so I all most had a fit when I realized that this forum comes up on a Google search.

Unfortunately I don’t know of any way of changing the Google cash. However, I did what I could in so much as this forum is concerned. Firstly, I either deleted all personal details from my posts or if necessary I removed all content (I could not find a way to delete the user name or complete posts, just the contents). However a blank post is not a bad start if the contents could be otherwise embarrassing in the hands of someone you know.

Secondly, I went to my profile and removed all details except the country. I changed my country to one on the other side of the world so, if one should find my user name and check it out, it may appear that it is someone from another country using the same user name.

And thirdly, just to be sure that no one would recognize my email address I opened a new one with gmail and the only place I use it is with the now unused user name. If I recall correctly you have to input an email address with your user name however, you do have the choice to make it available to other users or keep it private but I didn’t wish to take any chances-so I changed it.

Next, I opened a new account using a new user name, which I keep exclusively for this forum.

I hope the above is of some assistance. Also, if anyone has any more suggestions, particularly to do with the google cash, please post.
  • Hi, mrdogcat,

I did a Google search on your moniker and it didn't come up even after going about 10 pages deep on my machine. I found a reference to a transgender site, but that was as close to this as I could see.

I can understand you're need for privacy, but I sure don't see it in my googling of you.

You can change your username here, you know, find something a little less unique. That's why I am using the one I do.

Good luck.
  • rickg
    I searched my screen name and nothing came up as well. I am more concerned with googling my legal name and how much info it gives. Professional sites, etc.
  • Hi Cockadoodle,

How do you change your user name? I could not find a way other then to open a new account hence a new user name.

This of course means all of your previous posts still come up under your old user name.
  • Nope, I guess that's it. You have to delete yourself and recreate.

Let folks know that you're the same guy, I guess, and proceed.

Maybe someone else has a better way, but I guess I don't know it.

rumel may read this and offer his suggestions, as well.

good luck.

c
  • rumelrumel
    mrdogcat,

As far as I know, only the webmaster can delete your user name from the data base, but as 'wohdin' pointed out there are archived copies or cached pages that exist outside the control of the Aneros webmaster. These pages would still show up from a Google search. Also, as far as I know, you can't change your user name on this Forum, though you can abandon it and establish a new one by re-registering.

You can edit your own post and delete most all of the content (except for 3 characters), but you can't totally delete your post, again the webmaster has control over that function. If you wish to have these items totally deleted, I suggest you contact [email]support@aneros.com[/email] via email and make that request.
  • tokertoker
    anyone that finds out your on this forum must have had a look too so why worry :wink:
  • aliquis
    toker said:

anyone that finds out your on this forum must have had a look too so why worry :wink:

I don't agree with that, it's hard to know which of your own hits ranks highest on google for instance and eventually you end up with the wrong one, so to speak. And everyone may not be comfortable with the association.

Though personally I can't care enough of it. It's not the end of the world and if people is stupid enough to look...