Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

In this Discussion

Finding Lubes in Retail Stores
  • mobilesub
    I need some education...

Based on some threads I read on lubes, I am no longer going to use vaseline and am looking for my next lubricant. I did finally read the label and petroleum jelly does pretty clearly say for 'external use only.' It worked well for me but I'm moving on. I tried a bottle of KY Sylk which was fine although not as thick, but the top readily opened in my luggage and spilled the entire contents on what was luckily dirty laundry.

For the last couple of days, I have been cruising drug stores, retail outlets and other places where personal lubricants are sold. I cannot find the 'advanced lubricants' that go beyond KY Jelly and Astroglide. I hate going into sex shops and even worse ordering from them online.

Do the standard retail chains carry the non-glycerin lubes or even the silicone lubes that are favorites here or do I need to wander into the "ANAL SEX!" section of the local establishment?
  • rumelrumel
    mobilesub,

You might want to try mixing up a batch of Natural Jelly see the recipe in http://aneros.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3098
    It has been working nicely for me.
  • mobilesub
    rumel said:

mobilesub,

You might want to try mixing up a batch of Natural Jelly see the recipe in http://aneros.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3098
    It has been working nicely for me.

I travel so much, I cannot imagine going through some of the ice tray antics I have read about. I may get enough time to actual make some and use it but I would really prefer something commercially available.
  • Badger
    I remember reading about the origins of things and why they were named, and one was on petrolatum, or petroleum jelly. It was discovered by chemist Robert Augustus Cheesebrough, who refined it from the goop that gummed up the pump rods on oil wells. He was so convinced of its health benefits, that he ate a spoonful a day for over 60 years, until his death at the age of 96.

A number of encyclopedias cite one of its uses as a laxative, and it is in many hair, skin and other personal products.

Hope this is useful.
  • Virg
    Hi mobilesub,

Do you have a Walgreen's near you? They tend to have an amazing selection, including "Probe" and other water-based products, though I prefer coconut oil via a syringe or a ice cube tray that makes "half" balls with a diameter of 1/2"...

I would stay far away from the silicone products...

Rumel's natural jelly likes pretty cool but I have not had a chance to make a batch yet...

Hope this helps...

Virg
  • serenget1
    Hi

I am in the UK and most of our supermarkets have a lubricating jelly KY or own brand on the shelves.

Durex marked play lub. I have used the Hot version (though it is not really hot) and cool version but I don't like the menthol in it. This is also available in the Supermarkets such as Sainsbury.

Regards Paul
  • mobilesub
    I have been to several Walgreens from the east coast to Houston, TX and mostly found KY and Astroglide. I did find one with WET products and bought "Wet Bare Essentials" yesterday but was disappointed to see it performed much like Astroglide.

I'll just have to find a specialty shop somewhere along my travels or order online.
  • Virg
    Hi mobilesub,

The ones in my area have a HUGE selection which is a nice surprise. Sorry. I thought that would help. Beyond that, I think you are left with the web. Good luck.

Cheers,

Virg
  • B MayfieldB Mayfield
    Mobilesub,

If you're near New York, I would suggest a visit to one of the three Toys in Babeland stores (they also have one in Seattle). If you've not been there before, these establishments are totally atypical of the usual sex shops. They're open and airy, without the seedy ambiance that characterize the run of the mill toy emporiums. They're almost set up like an Apple Computer Store! Seriously, it's one of the few places of this kind that I didn't feel like I needed a shower when I walked out.

The staff (all female in the stores I've been in) are helpful and what's more you'll probably find everything that you're looking for in the way of different kinds of lube there. Actually, I bought my first bottle of Maximus (no relation to the Aneros product of the same name) there. Maximus is a water-based preparation that does not contain glycerin. They also have Boy Butter and several other products that you've read about in the forum as well.

Check it out.

BF Mayfield
  • Car_01
    What about the K-Y Intrigue? It lists simethicone/dimethicone as the primary ingredient.

One thing I discovered with the standard K-Y with glycerin was the considerable laxative effect. I was not expecting that. When I used it with the Helix I did not prelube and did not notice the effect. Given the considerable size increase with the Progasm I decided it would be best to prelube. After my last Progasm session I got up from the bed and all of a sudden I had a very strong "urge to purge." I would say the KY had much more laxative effect than the rectal syringe with tap water that I used before the session.

Maybe the Boy Butter would be better for me than a glycerin based lube.

Car_01
  • B MayfieldB Mayfield
    Car-01,

Boy Butter oil based is a very good lube and one that has many fans here in the forum. Just be aware that their water based product is a glycerin formulation, so make sure that you're buying the right one. The oil based Boy Butter (labeled as the Original Boy Butter) has a yellow label. I just ran into Eyal Feldman, the owner of the Boy Butter company at a recent trade show in L.A. The product is still going strong and has received some cool endorsements recently too.

If you're looking for a water-based non-glycerin containing lube, check out Maximus (no relation to the Aneros model of the same name).

BF Mayfield
  • uncajake
    Don't know if this will help, but I typically use Walgreens brand Personal Lubricating Jelly. I like it because it is thick enough to not run out of a syringe as I try to fill it. It is water based, and relatively cheap. 3.99 for a 4oz tube. You can get it either online or instore.
  • Car_01
    Thanks for the tips. I was wondering about the different Boy Butter formulas. The Walgreens product is worth a look also. Some of those lubes are pricey to say the least.

Car_01
  • Love_isLove_is
    Hello People, :)

A fellow user here that I message regularly mentioned that he couldn't recall anyone mentioning Babeland.com Babelube, which I tried a 2oz. bottle a while back. Here's a link:

BabeLube - Lubes and Safer Sex: Lubes - BabeLube at Babeland

It's a water based glycerin free lube. Very similar in consistency and feel as Slipperystuff Gel. I feel like the Babelube did a better job of lubricating my rectum via syringe insertion for Aneros use, than Slipperystuff Gel does. But it's been a while since the small bottle of Babelube ran out many months ago, and before my recent purchase of a bottle of Slipperystuff Gel. So that may not be a very good comparison to go by. I'd feel more confident about that if I was able to have an Aneros session with each one day after the next. Both of these lubes though have the same problem of drying out when exposed to air. So when using them for long amounts of time, you'll find you'll eventually have to re-lube your anus and the stem of the Aneros at least once, depending on how long you go.

Love_is
  • rookrook
    [QUOTE=Love_is;89637]Hello People, :)
    ...snip...
    . Both of these lubes though have the same problem of drying out when exposed to air. So when using them for long amounts of time, you'll find you'll eventually have to re-lube your anus and the stem of the Aneros at least once, depending on how long you go.

Love_is

Try this for water based lube with an expected long session:

Take a BB-shot sized ball of petro-jelly lube and smear it around the stem in a band about 1/4" wide. Seems to avoid any irritation.

Note: I no longer 'grip' onto the stem or employ strong sphincter contractions so YMMV.
  • uturn
    The absolute best lubricant I have ever found is Johnson & Johnson Baby Oil GEL... It's Baby Oil in a GEL FORM and it's Awesome!!! It stays in place but is Super Lubricating because it's an Oil but it's safe because it's made for babies.

Try some!! It's only like $3.00 a bottle at Wal-Mart!!
  • GeogioGeogio
    I have used Petroleum Jelly after many sessions dialing in a lubricant than didn't have the purging effect of glycerin. I have heard that olive oil may be satisfactory for your needs. A virgin cold pressed would probably be pure olive oil. Some cheaper varieties are cut with canola or veg oils.

My issue with olive oil is that is messy, afterwards. I have used it for other applications but not for anal insertion.

I do not need leakage staining my pants several hours afterwards. What I normally do is take a paper towel and fold it 3 times like a letter fold then roll it into something resembling a tampon then a put that in my crack to absorb any leaking which could occur. I haven't tried olive oil yet but I would be wary of leaking and the resulting oil stain on the cloth which would be next to impossible to remove during laundering.