Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

In this Discussion

Silicone lube?
  • Just wondering if anyone has tried using silicone based lubes with their Aneros? I've tried waterbased...such as Wet....and while it works okay, i find you have to use quite a bit and reapply...which can be annoying in the middle of a session. Plus is seems to get absorbed and makes removing it a little more difficult after a long session. I guess i was thinking Silicone would be an advantage since it's oil based, super slick, doesn't dry out or dilute in water.....plus you only need a fraction of the amount you would need with waterbased lubes. I'm gonna try it out....but just wondered if anyone else has gone this route...and what you thought?
  • bonerownerbonerowner
    Hello- The subject of silicone based lubes is discussed in the wiki:
    http://wiki.malegspot.com/index.php?title=Silicone_based

There are a great variety of commercially availble silicone based lubrication products.

* The advantages of silicone based products :
    o They are long lasting
    o They resist drying out
    o Very little is needed to provide good lubrication
    * The disadvantages of silicone based products :
    o Cleanup is more difficult with soap and water, a residual coating may exist
    o Differing formulations have a host of chemicals with unknown long term health risks
    o Potential allergic reactions

If you're going to pair the lube with a condom (for the condom method: http://wiki.malegspot.com/index.php?title=Condom_method), be sure to stick with water-based formulation: The oils in some brands can eat away at latex.

Try a free sample of ID Glide by filling out a short survey here: http://www.idlube.com/surveys/survey.php
  • Onthepath
    Hi im_a_keeper81,

Silicone based lubes are not oil based and they won't damage condoms but they will damage silicone toys. In addition to the wiki, try searching the forum for other posts on silicone based lubes.

To me, silicone based lubes aren't as slick as water based lubes. I also find that I have to apply it more and more to keep it slick which is something I also notice when I masturbate with it. It's odd, I can feel the slipperyness with my fingers but it seems to be just underneath the surface - it doesn't feel as "wet" or as slick as when using a water based or an oil based lube. It's certainly a different feeling.

For long sessions, you may want to coat the outside of your anus with a silicone or oil based lube after inserting the Aneros and gently move the Aneros inside and out to distribute the lube just inside the anus. That should help with dryness factor when trying to remove it later. If you prelube with a water based lubricant, that should be fine for the inserted part of the Aneros for the duration of your session since it's not constantly exposed to air.

Another thing I don't like about silicone based lubes is that they can stain sheets so be careful if you are applying the lubricant on your bed. If you spill any on the floor you will need to be very dilligent in making sure that all of it has been removed, otherwise you may slip and fall.

Buy a small bottle or get a free sample as bonerowner suggests and try it out. It's not my favorite but you may like it.

Onthepath
  • bonerownerbonerowner
    I didn't mean to imply that ID Glide was silicone based - it is not - it is water based and is considered by many to be one of the best available - I posted the link in the hopes of turning him on to a GOOD water based lube. Sorry for the confusion.
  • Onthepath
    Hi bonerowner,

I wasn't referring to your post. im_a_keeper81 had mentioned in his original post that silicone lubes are oil based so I wanted to correct that.

ID Glide is my favorite water based lube. I use it all the time with my Fleshlight. I tend to use Maximus for anal play since it is thicker.

Onthepath
  • bonerownerbonerowner
    thanks for the tip - I just ordered a fleshlight and was wondering what kind of lube would be best - so now you answered that for me :)

im_a_keeper81 - just remember the basics - in general, there are three types of lubricants and each has its pros and cons:

Water-based lubes are easy to cleanup and are unlikely to cause yeast infections in women, but on the down side they do need to be renewed every half hour or less due to drying.

Oil-based lubes tend to have maximum slipperiness and last longest, but can lead to yeast infections in women and tend to break down latex condoms and toys quite quickly.

Silicone-based lubes fall in between these two, being slicker and longer lasting than water-based lubes, but they do require longer clean up times, can stain sheets and clothing, and will eventually break down silicone toys.
  • Silicone-based lubes fall in between these two, being slicker and longer lasting than water-based lubes, but they do require longer clean up times, can stain sheets and clothing, and will eventually break down silicone toys

The Aneros toys are not silicone though, are they?
  • PommiePommie
    sensitiveguy22,

The VICE is made of silicone and is thus far the only Aneros model made from this material.

The remainder are fashioned from "High Grade Medical Plastic", although I'm not sure what the technical name for it is.
  • rookrook
    The white Aneros toys are formed from Acetal, a tough Copolymer related to Delrin and approved by the FDA for medical use:
    -- Acetal Resin | DuPont ? Delrin ® --
    -- Polyoxymethylene - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia --
    -- Lexan, Nylon, Delrin and chlorinated water --
    -- Getting Started - Aneros Wiki --

Note the references regarding exposure to chlorine. I've regularly used the 10% Bleach solution recommended in the Wiki. I occasionally run them through the dishwasher but remove them after the final rinse. No obvious issues yet.
  • I've used silicone lubricants pretty much from the start...after a week of using water based and having that awful irritation probably from the glycerin was enough for me. I usually apply a very liberal amount both inside and on the toy, and don't feel like I need to reapply even after 3 hour sessions. I'd like to experiment with other lubes but there isn't much out there (glycerin is in most water based, and afraid to try shea butter because i'm allergic to nuts). My only issue with silicone lubricants is they are expensive. And so messy.
  • PommiePommie
    AlllnTheMind,

Have you tried using Vaseline?

Some members, me included, have tried it and it seems to work well.
  • Pommie,

I have not, just did some research on it, totally going to get some to try out next chance I get!
  • ding
    I use a light coating of Vaseline on my Helix and then Slippery Stuff lube (which does not contain glycerin). I never have any lube related issues.
  • Had sessions last night and this morning and applied a coat of petroleum jelly on my helix along with the normal amount of silicone on the inside. Fantastic, I will definitely be doing this from now on. Felt smoother and more comfortable than anything else!