Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

In this Discussion

cleaningthe tool after?
  • needit_
    have tried different cleaners ,as the tool being in a ,say high odor place .what types of cleaners are the gang using ? as have tried dish soaps .but the odor ,can be a bit ?? thx :lol:
  • rookrook
    Apologies for the use of brand names.

Only residual odor I get is just shea butter & coconut oil.

Temptation is to first consider sufficiency of douche and lube.

Post session, I use a soft brush and Dawn (blue antibacterial) dishwashing detergent. It seems effective in cutting the fat component in the lube I use for routine sessions.

I use my SGX with Crisco lube and don't bother with an enema. After the Dawn scrub in the shower there's usually evidence of a oily film. A run through the dishwasher deals with that.

(What's that you say? Well, should you visit, just ask for your beer in a paper cup.) :evil: :roll: :shock: :lol:
  • aliquis
    I haven't used mine but have bought "a sex toy cleaner" which has triclosan in it. Guess one may want to use a dishwashing detergent before that.

On a related note I would like to know what you recommend the most of such a triclosan product (available from most sex toy shops), some hand disinfection gel (available at our pharmacies among others) with a high amount of denatured alcohol or a solution of http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sodium_hypochlorite (sold here among other things under the name Klorin by Colgate) or similair chlorite (I think I've read about a 10% solution for silicone toys but I think my flask says 5% each of two different chlorites, so that would be 100% of that product or what? That sounds very concentrated, or should I dilute it 1:10 more?)

Will the plastic in the Aneros handle all of the triclosan, alcohol or chlorites?

AFAIK one should disinfect the items, especially if shared with a partner, though I guess in most cases the Aneros is not.

I doubt it would smell anything except bleach/chloride after dishwash detergent + sodium hypochlorite solution though ..
  • Hello, guys,

Aneros massagers are made from a very stable material and are virtually impenetrable by almost any mild cleaning solution. From the wiki:

"Acetal is the material that the Aneros models (other than the Progasm) are made from. All Aneros models are made from FDA approved materials. Acetal is a crystalline polymer with a high melting point. It offers a high modulus of elasticity combined with great strength, stiffness, smoothness, natural lubricity, and resistance to abrasion. Moisture has no effect on it."

As such, all that is really required is warm water and any mild soap, including hand or dishwashing liquid. If you're really concerned, a bit of rubbing alcohol on a soft cloth can finish the disinfecting job as it will quickly evaporate and leave you with a very clean Aneros.

Finally, I know it may be a bothersome step, but I think most would agree that you should ALWAYS practice cleanliness procedures before Aneros use and clean your colon with warm water. Use a simple enema bottle like a Fleets bottle (dump out the stuff they contain when new) or with any other more elaborate tools you might have.

A clean colon has no odor and will add great pleasure to your Aneros experience.

So, soap and warm water cleanup should be all that is necessary for safe use.

C
  • aliquis

Hello, guys,

Aneros massagers are made from a very stable material and are virtually impenetrable by almost any mild cleaning solution. From the wiki:

"Acetal is the material that the Aneros models (other than the Progasm) are made from. All Aneros models are made from FDA approved materials. Acetal is a crystalline polymer with a high melting point. It offers a high modulus of elasticity combined with great strength, stiffness, smoothness, natural lubricity, and resistance to abrasion. Moisture has no effect on it."

As such, all that is really required is warm water and any mild soap, including hand or dishwashing liquid. If you're really concerned, a bit of rubbing alcohol on a soft cloth can finish the disinfecting job as it will quickly evaporate and leave you with a very clean Aneros.

Finally, I know it may be a bothersome step, but I think most would agree that you should ALWAYS practice cleanliness procedures before Aneros use and clean your colon with warm water. Use a simple enema bottle like a Fleets bottle (dump out the stuff they contain when new) or with any other more elaborate tools you might have.

A clean colon has no odor and will add great pleasure to your Aneros experience.

So, soap and warm water cleanup should be all that is necessary for safe use.

C

Mild soap? Does it really matter?
    I don't know where to get a more liquid kind of alcohol, probably not so hard, maybe I shouldn't had bought the gel.

But I guess both the triclosan toy cleaner and alcohol hand disinfectant is ok.

Does anyone use a chloride based fluid for cleaning anything? In that case how do you mix it? Would have an awesome price atleast (1 litre of 10% chlorite bleach is around 10 sek or just over 1 dollar here ..)

I want to try my aneros, waiting suck.. I wonder if I should or not.
    Actually mailed the hospital with the doctors name in the headline but I haven't got a reply, doubt anyone cares.
    Also maybe kinda obvious :D
  • I do not recommend that people use chlorine or chlorine-bleach based
    products to clean the Aneros! Although Acetal is resistant to many chemicals
    and moisture, it is also degraded by chlorine.

(You can verify this by looking at the spec sheets at the Dupont site,
    or on Wikipedia.)
  • aliquis

I do not recommend that people use chlorine or chlorine-bleach based

(You can verify this by looking at the spec sheets at the Dupont site,
    or on Wikipedia.)

Ok, thanks for the info :)

Would had been very cheap and easily accessible if it had worked :)

Makes me wonder about the plastic board I use my knifes on, maybe it's not healthy if it affects the plastic.

But alcohol is ok atleast?

Maybe there is a reason the toy cleaners seem to focus on triclosan :)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Triclosan

Though, it does have chloride in it, so maybe not?

Maybe no toy cleaner but rather alcohol? Or not alcohol either?

Edit: The wikipedia entry above:
    "A comprehensive analysis from the University of Michigan School of Public Health indicated that plain soaps are just as effective as consumer-grade antibacterial soaps with triclosan in preventing illness and removing bacteria from the hands.[27]
    The addition of triclosan to hand soap can be seen as a convenience. The breakdown of waxes and oils with pure soap takes time, and a very quick application and wash-off of pure soap may be insufficient to remove bacteria protected by thick waxes. Triclosan is useful in that it is retained on the hands following washing as a residual skin coating, and continues to kill bacteria.[28][29]
    A solution that is around 70% ethanol is highly effective in killing bacteria. These solutions are now available in many hand cleaners and are most commonly marketed as "hand sanitizer" or "alcohol rub".
    Non-organic antibiotics and biocides are effective alternatives to triclosan, such as silver and copper ions and nanoparticles.[30]
    The herbs thyme, oregano, and other essential plant oils have been synthesized into a broadspectrum antimicrobial which is purported to work as well as alcohol-based sanitizers.[31][unreliable source?]"

So, the triclosan products seem to be bullshit and not needed or useful. Maybe for porous items, what do I know. Looks like a good scrub with soap will do the work good enough. Or use the alcohol since it's probably safer than chloride stuff anyway (dunno about the denatured alcohol but I guess one can just wash it off anyway.)
    A herbic formula sounds nice.
  • Yes, alcohols will not affect the acetal in the Aneros. But, I would stay away from any alcohol (like methyl alcohol) that is poisonous. I like the hand sanitizer idea -- they're mostly ethyl or isopropyl which should work, they're designed for human contact, and they are pretty cheap....

Here's a reference for chemical resistance of acetal-based products:
    http://k-mac-plastics.com/data%20sheets/acetal_chemical_resistant_chart.htm

Note: I believe that some versions of the Progasm are not made of acetal, and should be considered separately.

Personally, I just use liquid soap and water. (Yes, my liquid soap has a small amount of triclosan in it, which hasn't affected the Aneros so far).
  • aliquis

(Yes, my liquid soap has a small amount of triclosan in it, which hasn't affected the Aneros so far).

On purpose or is that crap in everything over there (assuming it's the US..)?

Kinda amazing with all the azo dyes in everything, "nutritional supplement" companies throwing together and push the responsibility over on you and the doctor you should had asked before using the product and so on. (And still people sue on the most retarded of things but I guess there are ways around that, but they affect general security of the products I assume. Not a fan of the ridicilous patent system either but whatever =P)
  • For those that use oil-based lubes, I've noticed that wiping is more important part of cleaning than the type of soap you use. After use I immediately wipe the visible lube off, rinse under hot tap water, then wipe again with toilet paper. Next I firmly rub down the massager with hypoallergenic hand soap, rinse, and finally wipe the Aneros once more with toilet paper as I dry it. Clean as new after that.

And like it was already referenced, anti-bacterial soap offers little advantage over common soaps. I think it can actually be counter-productive, as the Aneros is likely to come in contact with bacteria only during use, and not during storage. If stored and cleaned properly, I doubt any intestinal bacteria can survive on the massager to an unhealthy degree. An exception is if the massager is shared between users, but I don't think I'd do that with any such product. :?
  • aliquis
    [quote=Rod of Plastic]An exception is if the massager is shared between users, but I don't think I'd do that with any such product. :?If I had a bunch of plugs and a girlfriend I would assume so .. Though I would had prefered to have them made out of silicone, which rules out the very popular sil-a-gel I guess, or maybe not?
  • Badger
    [quote=Rod of Plastic]For those that use oil-based lubes, I've noticed that wiping is more important part of cleaning than the type of soap you use. After use I immediately wipe the visible lube off, rinse under hot tap water, then wipe again with toilet paper. Next I firmly rub down the massager with hypoallergenic hand soap, rinse, and finally wipe the Aneros once more with toilet paper as I dry it. Clean as new after that.

And like it was already referenced, anti-bacterial soap offers little advantage over common soaps. I think it can actually be counter-productive, as the Aneros is likely to come in contact with bacteria only during use, and not during storage. If stored and cleaned properly, I doubt any intestinal bacteria can survive on the massager to an unhealthy degree. An exception is if the massager is shared between users, but I don't think I'd do that with any such product. :?

Same here. I let it rinse under hot water for several minutes while I clean myself up. I will wash the Aneros before use as well, and then give it a light coat of petroleum jelly, with about 10-12 cc's of Slippery Stuff Gel inserted.
  • aliquis

I do not recommend that people use chlorine or chlorine-bleach based

Maybe someone should update the wiki then:
    http://wiki.malegspot.com/index.php?title=Getting_Started#Hygiene
    "This may be followed by an alcohol or 10% bleach solution wipedown and a thorough drying before putting your device away."
  • alvalv
    needit_ said:

have tried different cleaners ,as the tool being in a ,say high odor place .what types of cleaners are the gang using ? as have tried dish soaps .but the odor ,can be a bit ?? thx :lol:

I use plain soap, the Aneros is spotless and odourless after use, as douched my butt before the session.