Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

In this Discussion

Danger: Nerve Damage? No Erection, Sensation, Ejaculation
  • I am very worried and concerned. I'm a newbie with this, and I bought the Helix Holiday pack, and tried the MGX yesterday about 3pm CST for about an hour. At the time I didn't notice any particular problems, even though I wasn't getting much out of it. The arm that makes contact with the perineum was pushing pretty hard, and wasn't very comfortable, but I figured it was supposed to be like that. I never orgasmed / ejaculated, or stimulated my penis during that session, and was unable to complete because I had to go do errands.

This morning I noticed I didn't have my typical erection. Sometimes, I use that time to masturbate, as I believe it is good for the prostate to frequently emit it's fluids from ejaculation. I've heard / read that masturbation / ejaculation helps avoid prostate cancer. That was one of the reasons I wanted to use the Aneros. I tried to get an erection, and barely could. I tried to masturbate, and really couldn't. There seemed to be no sensation like normally, and quickly what little amount of erection I could get just went away. I've spent over an hour this morning, but so far nothing. Even direct stimulation to the head of the penis with a lubricant seems to not really produce any sensations, and normally I am VERY sensitive.

As you might expect I am very concerned, and distraught. I am hoping this is some type of temporary effect, that was perhaps caused by the pressure to the perineum which they claim is an accupressure point. If this is true than it was pressing on the nerves. I hope it didn't permanently damage them. I don't really understand why this is happening to me. Before purchase and use I read most of the forums and I haven't seen similar problems. Most people seem to have good experience with the device.

I'm not sure what I am going to do, but at the very least I will have to return this for a refund. I won't risk my entire future sex life, and possibly prostate cancer as I would never be able to ejaculate, and that can't be good for the prostate in the long run. Please be careful if you decide to use this device, as it may really not be safe as claimed.

Please let me know if any of you have ever experienced anything similar, or have any suggestions for me. Thanks - all of you in advance.

Distraught
  • BusterBuster
    Dear Distraught,

I am sorry that you have had such a bad experience for your first time out. I have heard in the past of others that have experienced a "dullness" in the perineum area due to the tab after the first couple of uses. I dont think that it is very common, but that doesnt mean anything here.....to you. I will bet you are pretty concerned about it! I have experienced what you are talking about when I have been on a bike too long. While it is not exactly the same, the results sound dead on. With me, it only took a couple of days to get better. You might get some kind of tingling sensation during the process as well.

Before you jump right in to sending it back for a refund, I would recommend giving it a few days and see how you feel. Of course, you should do what is right for you, but that is what I think.

I hope that helps.

Buster
  • Thanks for the feedback Buster. Yeah, not that you mention it, I've ridden road bikes in the past - the last time being about 1 year ago. Those small seats will press on the same area. I have felt numbness there before. It is kind of like that, but seems to be stopping sensation even more. I mean, I just have almost no penile sensation under stimulation. The Aneros documentation does say the perineum is the nerve center for all sensation in the pelvic region.

I really hope that this is just temporary. Wow, imagine if it is not. I can't. I guess right now I am thinking / hoping it to be temporary. I can't see how just one hour of pressing on the perineum, and mild prostate stimulation could cause a permenant problem. I hope / pray it is not.

I was looking forward to using the product based on other testimonials. It sounded good; however now in all common sense I don't see how I could. If short use causes complete numbness of sensation, what may long term use do.

If this turns out to be permanent damage I'm not sure what I will do, but I suspect it won't be anything very good.

How many others have had this lack of sensation, and how long does it take to go away? Could this be caused by anything else I need to be concerned about? I was completely fine - sensation wise, right up to the point that I used the Aneros and had this result. I really appreciate as much feedback as possible. Thanks again.

I will post updates as / if I improve.
  • B MayfieldB Mayfield
    Distraught,

What you're describing is VERY unusual. Were you manipulating the Aneros by hand? What position(s) were you using.....we're you sitting? The Aneros doesn't produce enough perineal pressure to cause nerve damage, even under full contraction. Seems like there must be something else going on here. Is there anything else that you can add about the circumstances leading up to this. I understand that you are a newbie with the Aneros, however, have you experienced other forms of anal play in the past?

Did you observe proper hygiene after using the Aneros (did you touch your anus or the Aneros after using it and then touch your penis)? Have you had prostatitis before? The symptoms can cause urethral tingling and numbness.

In any event I would suggest laying off all stimulation (penile as well) for a day or so and allow yourself some time to stablilze.

I wouldn't jump to any conclusions at this point.

BF Mayfield
  • liftoff
    One thing I've seen here on the forums is that many folks are using some kind of pad or other device to modify how the tab strikes the pereneum. If you do decide to give it another go after recovery of your sensations, you will want to consider somethign similar. I don't even have mine yet, and I'm thinking of ways to 'soften the blow' on the nerve, specifically because I have problems riding bikes due to pressure from the seat.

Let us know how it goes... We can all benefit from each other's experience here. :)
  • B MayfieldB Mayfield
    liftoff,

Just to be clear, while it is true that some users have commented about pressure from the abutment tab, their descriptions are generally about surface discomfort NOT what Distraught has described here and certainly NOT nerve damage. I would advise you try out the Aneros first prior to using anything to mitigate tab pressure. If you're like me you may even find yourself wanting MORE rather than less.

BF Mayfield

• Originally Posted By: B Mayfield
    Distraught,

What you're describing is VERY unusual. Were you manipulating the Aneros by hand? What position(s) were you using.....we're you sitting? The Aneros doesn't produce enough perineal pressure to cause nerve damage, even under full contraction. Seems like there must be something else going on here. Is there anything else that you can add about the circumstances leading up to this. I understand that you are a newbie with the Aneros, however, have you experienced other forms of anal play in the past?

Did you observe proper hygiene after using the Aneros (did you touch your anus or the Aneros after using it and then touch your penis)? Have you had prostatitis before? The symptoms can cause urethral tingling and numbness.

In any event I would suggest laying off all stimulation (penile as well) for a day or so and allow yourself some time to stablilze.

I wouldn't jump to any conclusions at this point.

BF Mayfield

The good news is I seem to be doing better. Have now been able to have an erection, some sensation (thought still dulled), and even ejaculate to penile stimulation. "Wooo" - that's a load off my mind. Hopefully it will all come back soon.

In answer to your questions...No, I wasn't doing anything odd. I wasn't sitting, I was laying on my back and on my side. I wasn't using my hands at all. I used plenty of that lube. Yes, I have done some anal play in the past - not a lot. I also have never had any symptoms of prostatitus and used good hygiene. This occurred after just one hour of use. Actually two sessions of about 20 to 40 minutes. I was holding the contractions - constantly pressing the sphincter muscle almost constantly. But I thought that is what I was supposed to do. Nothing else was out of the ordinary.

Frankly I am surprised at this reaction myself. I was looking forward to giving it a go for awhile and seeing what the device will do. Unfortunately considering this reaction I don't see how I can now. It seems that would be foolish.

• Originally Posted By: B Mayfield
    liftoff,

Just to be clear, while it is true that some users have commented about pressure from the abutment tab, their descriptions are generally about surface discomfort NOT what Distraught has described here and certainly NOT nerve damage. I would advise you try out the Aneros first prior to using anything to mitigate tab pressure. If you're like me you may even find yourself wanting MORE rather than less.

BF Mayfield

So far I can't say it was nerve damage for sure, as it seems to be coming back - at least to some degree. Hopefully I will be fully recovered soon. Just my luck, that I would be the 'rare' one to try it. However, I will assure you all that my symptoms were real. Imagine your shock if you rub the head of your penis and almost no sensation except feeling the pressure of the touch. Since this happened to me, I know now it can happen. I assume that means it is possible with anyone, so be careful. If I were you and you are going to first try this device I would start out doing it only for really short periods of time. I was using the MGX, but perhaps the Helix wouldn't have caused issue with me. I never got to try the Helix. That sux huh? I just don't see how I can now. I mean, how many of you would try again after a reaction like that? Seems like that is seriously playing with fire - no?

I wish the rest of you the best of luck in this. Like I say though just start out slow and careful until you know what you are dealing with if you've never used it before. -- I wish someone could explain why I had this reaction. Perhaps I should be talking with support.
  • BusterBuster
    Hi Distraught,

I am glad you are getting your sensations back after just one day. As I recall, when I had my problems after the extended bike ride, it took the better part of a week to come back full circle. Keep the faith.

What I was struck with when reading one of your last posts was when you said, "I was holding the contractions - constantly pressing the sphincter muscle almost constantly." That is quite a bit of contraction! There are schools of thought here of practicing almost a "do nothing" approach to your sessions. With that, you might want to do some light contractions.

I guess if that is if you are going to continue. I hope you do, it is pretty amazing. But good luck either way.

Buster
  • B MayfieldB Mayfield
    (this post was edited 2007-03-11 12:01:03)

Distraught,

First, I'm delighted to hear that you're regaining sensation down there! I'm certain this was VERY disconcerting for you (I know it would have been for me). Thanks for the answers to my questions. Given what you've said, it seems most likely that there was some nerve impingement caused by the continuous anal contraction. As Buster has pointed out, strong continuous contractions are NOT the way to go. Even so, it's fairly unusual for the Aneros to produce this effect. In the past I have advised a form of a continuous contraction which I have termed a basal contraction. A basal contraction is one of a very subtle magnitude. In essence it's a contraction that is just above the level of being non-contracted (relaxed). It is from this platform that higher intensity contractions of shorter duration are performed.

At this point I can certainly understand your reluctance to explore this any further. However, if you should wish to try this in the future, I would suggest that you obtain an SGX (a smaller unit) and that you only use very subtle contractions. Furthermore, I would advise beginning with sessions of relatively short duration ... maybe 10 or 15 minutes to start, and then work your way up from there. Of course none this can be done until you are 100% back to normal. I might also suggest that you prepare for such sessions with a hot shower or warm bath followed by some gentle anal massage using your finger. Start slowly, and gently work the outer then inner portion of the sphincter. The idea is to make certain that you are completely relaxed EVERYWHERE, prior to introducing the Aneros. Muscle stricture or spasm can cause nerve impingement at any location in the body. The pelvic floor region is a very intricate network of muscles. You may have read elsewhere in the forum about CPPS or Chronic Pelvic Pain Syndrome which is believed by many to have its origins in spasm of muscles in this area. It's possible that this played a role in your case as well, albeit at much lower level.

Take care and be well!

BF Mayfield
  • Distraught
    Hi all, I wanted to update you this since I had such a bad reaction. Great news... as all the sensations came back in a week or two. I didn't use the Aneros for at least a couple of months or more after that, and was considering returning. Somehow the lure was still there and I was reluctant to return. Instead I tried the Helix. It didn't have a perineum tab that pressed so firmly and directly. I used the douce that came with the pack and then used about 3 or full syringes full of ID Glide.

All I can say is WOAH!!! This is intense! I've used it a number of times since then with no problems whatsoever. I've even used the MGX with no problems. Some of my sessions are up to five hours and no problems. I really don't know what happened that first time, but it really did happen to me.

I believe I have managed super O's and seem to be able to remain in a state of constant orgasms for hours on end usually with them getting only stronger and stronger. All I can say it that it is AMAZING!

Thanks all of your for you input and support. I am pretty new to this anal stimulation thing. I am hetero and I admit the concept does bug me a bit. I think it would be hard to admit to my guy friends I use the thing, and not sure what my wife would think, but perhaps someday we can use it together in some type of session.
  • rumelrumel
    Distraught,

I was glad to hear that the nerve issue has completely resolved for the better and you are now enjoying regular super-O's. To think that the Aneros might be causing some type of nerve damage was unsettling, hopefully you will never have to suffer that experience again.

Just a theory, but I am thinking that your initial useage may have created such intensity of stimulation that the nerves in the area experienced sensory overload and went into a temporary shut down, much like the numbing effect that continual repetitive stimulation can have on many areas of the body.

Good Vibes to You!