Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

In this Discussion

Chat with more than one person in private chat?
  • js3802
    Hey,
    Just wondering if one could have a private chat room with more than one other person in it at the same time?  It would be nice to know if one could chat that way instead of having multiple windows open to chat.  
  • B MayfieldB Mayfield
    js3802,

In so far as I know the Chat does not have that functionality.  It occurs to me however that having multiple individuals in a private chat would ultimately undermine the integrity of room.   Imagine if you will, you drop into the Chat, you see 5 or 6 people there, but no one is responding to you!   Not a good thing.

The Aneros Chat is all about enhancing communication between Aneros users.   It's a place to get questions answered, to share experiences, compare notes and hang out with fellow Forum members.  While one-on-one private chat/messaging is useful from time to time,  it's not really what the Chatroom is about.

BF Mayfield
  • rumelrumel
    js3802,

I also agree with 'BF Mayfield' on this topic. IMHO, the whole value of the chat room is for the open sharing of information in real time. A mechanism does exist to have a private conversation with several members simultaneously and that is through the "Conversations" feature integrated into the Forum software. Click on the Inbox tab on the Main Menu bar, then click the START A NEW CONVERSATION. When the edit box opens up, you will have the opportunity to designate multiple "Recipients" (member user names) for inclusion in your private conversation. After the conversation is sent you will even have the option of adding other members to your discussion.
    Good Vibes to You !
  • twlltintwlltin
    The Aneros website's chat software does have the concept of multiple "rooms" but it's not enabled.

What many of us do is use an other chat service like Yahoo Messenger or Skype for such multiple participant chats.

The reason many would want separate "rooms" is so as not to pollute the main chat by discussing something that might be distracting to an existing conversation going on there.
  • VicVic
    The Main Chat Room is wonderful, it's akin to walking into one of your favorite pubs/bars/cafes and chewing the fat with other like minded individuals. Questions get answered and answers have questions, I know the answer, but what is the question! On occasion, during conversation, many of us drift into more intimate dialogue that would be considered as private and therefore those patrons should probably exit through the back door and carry on their conversation in private chat. The PM feature provided is more than adequate, but if more patrons decide to form a party away from the "pub" then by all means explore rumels recommendation and create a multi-conversation as per his instructions. I recently discovered this feature and have been totally immersed in its privacy and format that allows for ongoing conversations to continue. You can add to or delete and this just may be what a lot of members are looking for within the safety of anonymity.
  • TreiTrei
    I dislike the idea of multiple private chat, people will start to form "private circles" and never be seen again thus robbing everyone else of being "in the know" x D. So i too concur with B Mayfield. If you want private parties than chat elsewhere is how I see it but aneros chat is for sharing and learning imo.

Trei`