Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

In this Discussion

Opinion From a Urologist
  • Hello,

This is my first post in this forum. I am a 58 year old male in good health. The Aneros MXG Classic has done an excellent job of addressing delayed ejaculation issues that I have been experiencing. I have had maybe a total of 6 sessions with the Aneros and all have been amazing. I thought it prudent to get a straight-forward medical opinion from my urologist before becoming too dependent and enraptured with the Aneros. He was not familiar with the Aneros but was intrigued enough to have me explain the mechanics of how it works (a diagram of the male reproductive system was there on the wall). He looked over the device from photos on the website (I didn't bring mine). I asked him if he thought it was safe. His answer was to the effect "I really don't see why not. Have fun and let me know how it goes." I asked him how much he knew about prostate orgasms from massaging the prostate, and did he ever experience one. His response: "Not myself, but one million Japanese prostitutes can't be wrong (laughing). I'm a surgeon, and I'm not up on all of the latest men's sexual trends. But in my opinion this device looks harmless enough. If you do have a problem it will potentially be with irritation of the prostatic urethra." I then asked him if he or his colleagues still milk the prostate as a form of treatment of BPE. His answer: "No because it really doesn't work." Then he was out the door and on to his next patient.

THIS IS NOT AN MEDICAL ENDORSEMENT, but I thought this information might be useful to users that might be too embarrassed to talk to their doctor about the Aneros. This particular urologist was unfamiliar but not particularly worried by it. It put my mind at ease. Hope this helps.

• isvara
    This is very helpful - thank you! Who knows you make have given him an idea.
  • Desmon
    Very interesting. I've been posting on this forum before about certain pain issues i've had, and "irritation of the prostatic urethra.", as the doctor says, could likely be my problem.
    Thanks.
  • hulahula
    Thank you for posting. I have always been too embarrassed to bring it up with my uro.
  • XilehXileh
    I'm shopping for a new uro after mine retired. He was familar with it and said that's the way they used to do it before they began to rely on meds.

The last two very experianced doctors I have interviewed had not heard of Aneros or prostate orgasms. Not really interested either. If you are a doctor and this is your specialty, it seems like you would be familiar or at least interested.

If you have talked to your doctor, what was the reaction? Were they familiar with Aneros?

Xileh
  • @Xileh *The last two very experianced doctors I have interviewed had not heard of Aneros or prostate orgasms. Not really interested either. If you are a doctor and this is your specialty, it seems like you would be familiar or at least interested.*

Yes, you would think this would be VERY interesting to someone in this specialty. 80% + of your job is managing prostate issues. You don't even know (or believe) that a prostrate orgasm is possible? My guess is most probably think it's BS. But I'm picturing a worldwide symposium on prostate issues with hundreds of urologists in attendance and nobody stands up and says: " Hey guy, guess what I've discovered." I mean REALLY? You would think that in a publish or perish medical climate some top urologist would jump on this and write a book claiming to have invented it. I would!
  • It seems that I answered my own question:

http://www.chron.com/news/houston-texas/article/Inventor-in-sex-toy-court-battle-targets-copies-1704454.php

Aneros inventor is in court protecting the patient, and the product is well known in medical circles.
  • B MayfieldB Mayfield
    doublezz33,

Your doctor's comment regarding a potential "irritation of the prostatic urethra" sounds much like an opinion rendered on-the-spot as a worst case scenario.     Given the basic description that you had given him on the Aneros and that he had no prior knowledge of it, I suspect that he was attempting to find something relevant to say that addressed your question in some fashion.

The fact is that the Aneros does not provide sufficient force (when used as directed) to cause this kind irritation in most healthy individuals.   I base this upon 11 years of my own experience with the device and having read the accounts of literally thousands of users in this forum.   While I can't say that it has never happened, it has been very rare indeed, and when it has occurred it is invariably because an individual intervened by manually operating the massager (working it by hand) or was in some other way compromised , i.e. prostatitis, cystitus, etc.

With respect to the efficacy of prostate massage there is no question that many physicians remain skeptical about it.   That said, there are many that are embracing it once more.  I just changed doctors several weeks ago and my new urologist made this statement about it to me...."it seems to work for some people...others, not so much".    In essence she remains open to it and has included it as a modality in her practice for treating CPPS.  

BF Mayfield
  • @B Mayfield *Your doctor's comment regarding a potential "irritation of the prostatic urethra" sounds much like an opinion rendered on-the-spot as a worst case scenario*

Yes, a worst cast scenario was exactly what he was implying. His overall impression was that it seemed like no big deal. BUT, in the heat of the action someone might tweak it with their hand, or get pretty jumpy. The notion that everyone will use it exactly as recommended would be a "best case scenario."
  • slimjm
    In general, urologists no long "milk" prostates and so they probably wouldn't think of a device doing so would be helpful either.  However, the Aneros products aren't specifically designed for milking the gland, just gentle stimulation that relaxes the pressure within the prostatic capsule, thus allowing for better urinary flow and sleeping longer intervals through the night without getting up to urinate.  And over time, if you develop the ability to have prostate orgasms with these products, you obtain benefits to your erectile and ejaculatory function that are fun to experience.
  • slimjm
    Used in the manner for which they were designed, none of the Aneros products should cause prostatic urethra, prostate gland, or rectal irritation.  A urologist who feels they could, may simply not be familiar with the products and how gently they stroke the prostate area.
  • When I brought it up to my urologist 2 years ago (when I was getting up at night and having trouble with the shutoff valve, "dribbling...without a basketball"), he said "you don't want to do that". He said ejaculation is all that is necessary to massage the prostate gland. I used a Helix anyway. I no longer have to get up at night to pee, and my urine stream is strong and cuts off when I am finished. My urologist has also commented that my prostate is small...ie. not enlarged. I am almost 55. I must add that diet, nutritional supplements and vigorous exercise also help with the problems I was having, but nothing had the drastic impact of the Helix, which was almost immediate.

My opinion is that doctors who want to take a holistic approach have no support in the literature they read and no studies to back up their recommendations. The Aneros journey is not "mainstream" enough for urologists to recommend it. I don't think it will likely become mainstream until such studies receive funding - like drug studies do. Unfortunately, drug companies are not likely to fund such  studies when there is no payback in the form of a patented drug that realizes millions/billions when it hits the market. The information we provide on this website is almost all there is.

Thanks to those who take the time to post. It helped me greatly.
  • rumelrumel
    Guys,

FYI, High Island Health LLC is the parent company & manufacturer of the Aneros ® brand of prostate massagers. This patented device was originally and is currently offered for sale as the Pro-State ® line of massagers on the High Island Health website. The HIH website is primarily oriented toward the health aspects and benefits of prostate massage in accord with Oriental medicine for prostate related issues. A forum for users to discuss practice with these devices also exists on that website, I encourage you to check out that site to learn more about the health benefits. You may also be interested in reading about the ongoing Columbia Medical School study using the Pro-State massagers. The High Island Health website also contains testimonials from users regarding their experiences using these wonderful little massagers. I would encourage you all to make your urologists at least aware of the HIH website, so they can do their own independent investigation/evaluation of the potential benefits to their own other patients. Doctors, like most professionals, are interested in providing the most thorough, informed and up to date services they can, so I think it behooves us to provide them a little helpful information when we can.
    image Good Vibes to You ! image

• Rumel, you make some very good points, and I agree that the health users reading this should read the HIH website as well. Unfortunately, the HIH website and forum do not enjoy much participation at all, and we health users can get more useful information on the Aneros site. I have also read the published results of the Columbia Study, which can be picked up from a link on the HIH website. The conclusions definitely support my experience (and others) that these devices help a lot with enlarged prostate issues. I recommend reading it to those who have not.

I purchased Dr. Katz's book and read it. It also contains a lot of good information about prostate health and holistic practices, but (surprise to me) in the book there is no mention of the Pro-State (HIH's nomenclature for the Aneros devices). Finally, Dr. Katz has left Columbia University (Feb. 2012) to become the Chairman of the urology Dept. of Winthrop University Hospital. I assume he is no longer involved with the study. I have tried to get updates on the study, and there have been none to my knowledge in the 3 years I have been interested.

Again, I applaud you and the other regulars on this site for welcoming newbies and providing useful and important information. Thanks so much!
  • isvara
    I like the forum as is. It might be easier if there was a health section. This would enable folk to focus on the health benefit without being "confused" or put off or distracted by the orgasmic benefits. Initially I was overwhelmed with the posts on orgasmic benefits whilst seeking prostate health. As the forum stands there is a great unity and tolerance amongst us - that really good.
    The HIH forum as I last saw it was very disappointing. This site format would now rank as one of the best sites I have so far come across. Many thanks to CT et al.
  • @isvara
    same here, i was browsing the web for prostate health and its simply impossible to ignore all the hints to prostate stimulation and the sexual benefits - but i am glad i read the testimonials and i guess there is a big nexus, which means a healthier prostate is more likely to give you a better sexual performance (and a new connection to your body) and vice versa.
  • XilehXileh
    As I continue looking for a new uro, I now have my Aneros speach down pat.

I too started out based upon the health aspects. I suffer from BPH and high PSA. After receiving blessings from my uro a year ago, I tried it out. Surprise! Then I found the forum and discovered the fun part. The medication I was using for BPH caused all sorts of problems; ED, inability to climax, muscle soreness, night sweats, you name it. I tried them all out. I am now using Saw Palmetto and my Aneros. This is the best I have been for over a decade. No side effects. Thanks fellow Anerosians!

I too would like a spot here to discuss health issues. The HIH site is pretty slow and not nearly as well informed as this community. There is no group of men as knowledgeable about prostate health and pleasure as this group and I would like to share about health more. I am very nervous about my condition and need the support.

Thank you all for sharing,
    Xileh
  • Tomasheen
    Saw palmetto is excellent. I take two capsules each day and it has improved my overall sexual condition and health.
  • isvara
    I take one capsule of Prostate Manager per day - that is the equivalent of two capsules of Saw Palmetto. I have been taking Saw Palmetto for about 10 years. It is truly amazing and coupled with Aneros is now even better. I don't do too bad for an old chap!
    (I call it my ezywee - no BHP wee pain)
  • My own ulrologist told me he had seen the device at a conference and basically said the same as above - cant see any harm in it, give it a go a report back.

My orad has been a rollercoaster due to other medical issues, but when my body does allow me to use the aneros I see results within 24 hours, however i will add, that after a session the prostate can feel a bit tired and urine stream temporarily lower.

I have just upgraded to the maximus classic for reason and a question I will post on another thread
  • B MayfieldB Mayfield
    In an earlier post I had written about my urologist retiring and having to change doctors.   I had failed to mention that I had broached the subject of the Aneros (ProState) in my discussion with my new urologist about the efficacy of prostate massage as a treatment for chronic prostatitis (increasingly known as CPPS).   She asked if the device had provided me with any relief and I indicated that indeed it had.  With that she encouraged me to stay with it!   While there will always be physicians who are resistant to this concept, I am convinced that many urologists are showing a new openness to it.   The simple truth is that CPPS is an intractable problem that has been largely unresponsive to the traditional modes of treatment  (antibiotics, anti-inflammatories, etc.).  Consequently more physicians are starting to take note of some of the anecdotal reports of their patients about alternative forms of treatment.   Herbal therapies, are another case in point.   Some actually work (beyond a placebo effect).   I was stunned however when my previous urologist actually recommended one such product to me. (My new doctor recommends it too).   Turns out the product actually had a medical study from Johns Hopkins to back it up!  My suggestion is, if you are suffering from CPPS and you're not getting any relief from traditional methods and your doctor is closed off to these alternative modalities.....time to change doctors. 

BF Mayfield
  • darwindarwin
    unfortunately i am among the few men for whom the aneros can cause problems.   it can trigger a multi-day CPPS flare up.  if i am too aggressive with it, it can pop weak blood vessels leading to gross hematuria.

i have significant BPH (which is presumably why i have weak blood vessels down there) which i do not think it has helped.

i personally do not see how the aneros can reduce BPH.  It is not reversible tissue growth.  I do believe the aneros can relieve symptoms because i think it can improve muscle tone and also help keep the urinary muscles relaxed.

about the Columbia article notice that the lead author cites a consulting position with HIH, and also that their results are in line with what is expected from a placebo.

after years of using the aneros, and learning from it how to have MMO, i now mostly avoid it, having aneros-less sessions.   when i do use it i stick to the small peridise models or the syn, and don't do it for too long.

i so wish that i could report it helped me with my symptoms, but alas.

that said, i fully believe the positive reports of others.

darwin
  • isvara
    I have no clinical evidence. I was going to put this is a separate "Prostate Health" post but I will add it here.
    I believe Aneros has saved my life. This time last year when I had trad sex as I approached the point of orgasm my whole body would tense up more and more to point where I was seriously worried I would have some sort of heart spasm(my words). After the Ej my heart would still be pounding and it was far from comfortable. I am not sure what was causing this. I had blood work and all indicators were that all was well and my PSA was quite low. I can only surmise that by BHP was not letting my P function correctly.
    In searching for a solution I came across the Aneros site and purchased my first Aneros MGX this was followed by the SGX. Using these as P massagers seemed to lessen the tension in the P. Of late I have been inserting the SGX for normal sex and my orgasms have been quite comfortable and not heart stressing.
    This morning I did not insert the SGX and that was a BIG mistake. All that fearful heightening of physical tension returned and it was really scary. It seems as if the pressure on the back of my P enables the orgasmic/ejaculation to trigger earlier and not be forcing the scary tension.

So I believe it is only safe for me to have trad sex with a smaller Aneros inserted. My partner is quite happy for this especially in view of the terminal alternative.
    I can see why we often hear of men dying after sex. Well, I can see how this would happen. I can also see that Aneros is not only a sex saver by a life saver.
    A good selling point! Have sex, use Aneros, live longer!
  • Several of you have stated that you wish there was a health side of this forum, so I'm getting a little off topic to respond that (sorry doublezz33). This is my idea: Those interested could sign up for the High Island Health forum and start posting health related posts over there and urge others to do so as well. People going to that site for health related advice and counsel would see that there are current posts from people who are informed and might be more inclined to try the Pro-State.

Many have talked about spreading the word on this site. In a small way, this idea would accomplish that as well.

Any thoughts?
  • isvara
    It's worth a try..
    I will post my above post there and see what happens

Edit: just had a look, there are no recents posts the latest is 10/12, and only a couple for 2012.@dribbler, I am not sure it is worth posting there
  • That forum is in honesty useless, there are also some very weird posts from guys claiming their urologists were giving them massages with their cocks and inviting students to do the same on the same patient, to be honest that thread alone is enough to turn people away.

I can somewhat relate to Darwins issues, I too suffer from CPPS but not BPH, I have had many bad experiences with the massager but enough to see it through and continue. My experiences are not all sown to the massager more my body and effects of spine surgery and also an IBS sufferer.

I recently switched to the larger massager and found my body naturally contracting, so I am starting a regime of massage for 30 minutes followed by release with sex with my wife to avoid blue balls.
  • isvara
    I think a simple resolution would be to title the health related post something like this:

"Very tense orgasm resolution - Health"
    "Aneros, a life saver - Health"

The "Health" indicating the content.
  • B MayfieldB Mayfield
    sittingonagolfball,

"That forum
    is in honesty useless, there are also some very weird posts from guys
    claiming their urologists were giving them massages with their cocks and
    inviting students to do the same on the same patient..."

What forum are you referring to? 

BF Mayfield
  • isvara
    Better if "Health -" was a prefix the member could do a search on "Health"

The site address we are referring to:
    http://www.highisland.com/
  • hulahula
    What is CPPS?
  • isvara
    " chronic prostatitis (increasingly known as CPPS)"
  • B MayfieldB Mayfield
    Hula,

CPPS is an acronym for Chronic Pelvic Pain Syndrome and is synonymous with chronic prostatitis.   The term is being used more commonly now as not to confuse it with bacterial prostatitis.  Causation is more indeterminate and may included, stress, hormones and/or neuropathy.   This condition effects both men and women. 

BF Mayfield
  • It would be good to concentrate on the Health aspects first to pacify sensitive souls
  • B MayfieldB Mayfield
    Timnail,

Historically the HIH site has been dedicated to the health application of the device and the Aneros site has been geared towards it's sensual application.  This has changed somewhat over the years and there has been a large amount of content about the health implications of the Aneros added here too.  This change was inevitable as users came to appreciate these incidental benefits for themselves.    I expect that trend to continue in the future as we move toward more all encompassing discussions on sexuality and male vitality.

BF Mayfield
  • hulahula
    thanks BF Mayfield. I didn't read your earlier post. I had never seen the term.