Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

In this Discussion

Buying unrefined shea butter online
  • Hey. I'm into the first few weeks of experimenting with my Helix Syn. I've used it 3 times now, with the last time using refined shea butter with almond oil as a prelube. This seemed to work a lot better for me than the ID Glide waterbased lube I was using. The refined shea butter version worked, but some additives mixed with it seemed to cause some burning sensations that lasted for a couple of minutes. So I want to find some unrefined shea butter online, and I wanted to ask everyone here if amazon.com or another online retailer was better to order from?

Thanks for your input. I've enjoyed reading everyone's blogs & comments in the discussion boards. I plan to start a blog about my trial & errors when I have some free time.
  • rookrook
    Suggestions:
    Settle on a recognized brand that has been on the market for some time.  Avoid the brands that seem aimed at cosmetic use. I've stuck with the AAA-Unrefined (Grade A) label but there are other good brands.  (check some of Love_is's posts.)  

Amazon has been a reliable source but don't overlook small vendors with offers on eBay where you can get some idea of vendor history/reliability.   I use so little of the butter that it's easy to wait for a good price (something under $25/pint including shipping & tax).

I skip paying extra for a butter with flavoring oils (essential peppermint, lavender, eucalyptus etc.)  while those can add a nice background to an Aneros session much of it will evaporate when you heat it to Pasteurize or compound the finished lube.  If you want the aroma, buy the essential oil separately and add it as the mixture cools.

enjoy & blessings...  rook
  • Love_isLove_is
    @flipper - I've only bought shea butter online a couple of times through Amazon.com when the price was right, as my local co-op carries the brand I like. And I can't remember which retailer it was through. My preferred brand is Now Foods Unrefined 100% shea butter.

http://www.nowfoods.com/Personal-Care/Products/Body/Butters-Moisturizers/M003283.htm

Definitely be careful of shea butter that has additives in it, as it typically sold for skin care purposes. So scents and other moisturizing additives are not uncommon. But I've also found out the hard way that some shea butter brands that claim to be pure and not chemically extracted, are not. Such as the Alaffia brand that was labeled as just 100% plain shea butter, it caused a rather severe burning sensation internally that would not go away during use.

I would say look for a good price where the shipping cost is not too outrageous. 
  • Hey rook & Love is...Thanks for your input. I ended up finding a locally owned health food store not too far from me that carried the the Now Foods brand. I bought the Now 100% shea butter & tried it last weekend. It worked so much better than what I had originally bought. I also bought some Now sweet almond oil & used it as a prelube, & it worked good too I thought. I'm excited about using & enjoying my helix syn & your help has definitely been appreciated.
  • Love_isLove_is
    @flipper12 - I'm glad this worked for you. :)