Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

In this Discussion

Booked into the doc for a prostate check. What should I ask?
  • Hay all :-)

Due to my VERY sensitive prostae taht ive described as the aneros giving me feelign sof pain as mentioned in previous posts by me I thought it prudent to see a doc "jsut to be safe" :-)

So if you guys could who've been using ya aneros for a long time and those whove seen a doc b4 ect im after some ideas of what I should ask him :-)

This is all new territory for me so I have no idea what I should ask. I remember reading something here about prostate position or shape or size or something, is there anything I should ask within this area that may help me in the future or even, just be infortaive to me? ect :-)
    If i put my finger up there it feels like its off-center, is this normal or possible or unheard of ect? I dunno for sure, but im sure the doc wil be able to help me about weather its off center or not.

Thx alot for ya time everyone :-)
  • slimjm
    If you're a young guy, an abnormality with your prostate in the absence of any other symptoms should be unlikely. BTW it's almost impossible in any circumstance to adequately feel your own gland, even if you know what you're feeling for. If you're an older guy, say 40 to 50 or above, you need regular prostate checkups anyway and there would be no pretense necessary to ask the urologist for an examination in that setting.

But if you're in the younger category and want to ask in a non-suspicious way to be checked, you can describe that you think you are having discomfort in what you understand would be the prostate region of your body, that is, just up inside your "saddle area" in front of the rectum and that you'd like to have it examined. If this is your first time ever getting evaluated by a urologist, you'll probably be asked to give a urine specimen which they'll check out and the doc will check your external equipment and then ask you to bend over and allow him/her to insert a lubricated gloved finger into your rectum to examine the gland. If you're in the older age group they will likely draw blood to check routine lab work, particularly a PSA.

The examination's not painful, but pressing on the gland as the doctor often has to do to feel it adequately will not feel pleasurable and you will not have to worry about feeling aroused or anything as it will not feel that way. Sometimes though they can press firmly enough you'll feel or even see a half droplet of prostate fluid come out your urethra (your penis opening) but that's normal.

Hope all goes well for you. I'm a doc in real life actually and have done many prostate exams and so feel free to PM me if you've got questions.
  • Sent ya a pm slinjm :-) and thx for ya reply here :-)

To the rest of ya, my prostates "small", skin is smooth and fine and seems perfectly fine for someoen my age(31) he did say perhaps I have prostatitis which is causign the pain so he put me on 2 weeks of Doxycycline anti-biotics.
    I have read a little on prostatitis and to me it seems highly unlikely I have that but what I will do is post here in 2 weeks to let everyone know if it was or not as others may be in the same situation as me :-)

Cheers all and take it easy :-)
  • newguy8762
    I've had prostatitus in the past (my late 20's and early 30's). No fun. The infection was so bad one time my semen took on a reddish tinge because there was blood in it. This was a combo infection of prostate and epididemitus(infection of the tubes that carry sperm from you balls into your prostate...you can feel them when you grab your scrotum and feel gently for little cords coming off each nut. Urologist out me on the same meds and told me to stop riding bikes when working out as well as to increase frequency of ejaculation (up from 2-3 times a week) and drink more water. All this helped clear it up and it has never returned. Get better!