Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

In this Discussion

Pre-lue: Do syringes work?
  • geegle
    Hi,

I am a real newbie here and waiting for my first Aneros, Helix. While waiting, I am collecting and buying accessories I will need.

I've already bought a small 5-oz enema syringe(bulb type) for cleaning before sessions and am looking for something for pre-lube, Reading Wiki, a small infant medicine droppers are recommended for this purpose, but I am wondering if a small syringe would work. I know Aneros here sells a small syringe with an attachment tip, but, if a small sytinge without the tip work, it would be whole lot easier as it's widely available and could be just thrown away after use without cleaning. Problem with sysringes that are widely available from drug stores have very short tip and the length of the tip might not be long enough to insert pre-lube.

Is the longer attachement tip necessary or will the short tip on syringes work just fine? If the tip on syringes is too short, I have to get something else.
  • Love_isLove_is
    Hello Geegle, :)

Yes, the long tip attachment is necessary to get the lube into the rectum. Also have a look at the "Lube Launcher" and "Lube Shooter".

Amazon.com: lube shooter - Health & Personal Care

Love_is
  • RJT
    For $4 I'm not sure it's worth trying to engineer an alternative to the syringe and tip on the Aneros site. The tip is very well shaped for it's intended purpose - i.e. it goes in easily and comfortably. However should the syringe start to wear out (and they don't seem to last forever) I'm sure that could be easily replaces with a trip to the drug store.
  • darwindarwin
    the aneros syringe is not latex-free. that means oil-based lubes will dissolve and ruin the o-ring.

there is a ton of discussion on lubes, and many prefer oil-based. if you want that option, the best syringe out there is what comes with a infant ibuprofen, or the generic versions of it.

it is slender enough to fit in easily, long enough and is latex free.

darwin
  • rookrook
    Just over two inches of length seems to work for me.

Here's an inexpensive approach. However, there's some invested labour. While 5/8" diameter might seem large this is smaller than what's soon to be inserted so think of it as just offering a bit of pre-insertion dilation. I do insert a lubed finger first then use this syringe. Penetration is slightly over 2." I seem to need 5ml of lube for Progasm play (4ml for Vice).

Buy a quantity of B-D 309605 syringes, typically used for wound flushing. These seem to appear on ebay at prices ranging from 35 to 75 cents each, in quantities of 10-20. Some are offered with free shipping. Most are probably sold to refill ink-jet printer cartridges.

Discard the plastic canula tip and carefully cut or saw off the Leur-lock at the end of the barrel, leaving a small 3mm hole in the rounded end of the barrel (plan on ruining a couple of syringes just learning where to cut the Luer tip. The rim around the end of the barrel is a potential, "ouch." So, polish the hole and the rim. Voila, a 3" x 5/8" anal lube syringe that's not as pointy as an enema nozzle yet fits into most small lube bottles. When fully discharged, there's minimal trapped lube therefore little waste.

To avoid back-contamination, I usually put lube in a shot glass with a rounded bottom. This syringe fits nicely into a shot glass and can draw in rather thick lubes.

I've found these quite rugged, tolerant of any lube ranging from Crisco to melted Shea, including most vegetable oils. Slippery Stuff gel is also OK as is Astroglide Natural. The hole in the end of the barrel is a bit too large for Slippery Stuff Liquid and for other thin water-based lubes. I've not tried these syringes with Vaseline so don't know if the plunger will tolerate petroleum or a lube like Albolene. I made four of these in late 2009 and three are still in regular use. (One died in the silverware basket of the dishwasher when I failed to remove it at the start of the 'dry' cycle.)

Cleanup is with warm water with a squirt of Dial Liquid soap with an occasional run through the dishwasher. Nice device since they are cheap and for an extended session you can use a clean syringe for each re-lube.
  • I will add my 2cents here...
    The lube shooter is cheap, and works a lot better than the baby medicine dropper.
    Slippery Stuff Gel with the pump makes it easy and quick!
  • Badger
    [QUOTE=cosmicmuffin;97612]I will add my 2cents here...
    The lube shooter is cheap, and works a lot better than the baby medicine dropper.
    Slippery Stuff Gel with the pump makes it easy and quick!

Same here; I have no problem with the Lube Shooters. They are cheap, nicely rounded, easy to insert, clean&neat to fill/discharge. Slippery Stuff Gel is my favorite, it lasts a long time.
  • geegle
    Thank you for your input, guys.

I had my first Aneros session today. To answer myself, I used a 5ml syringe without any modification. Diameter is perfect to be inserted and 5ml is all we need. It was inserted without any problem with little bit of lube. Cheap(30 cents at local medical supplies store) and disposable. I used Sliquid Organics Water-based gel.
  • darwindarwin
    the Lube Shooter looks pretty good. but is it latex free?

darwin
  • The lube shooter is a hard plastic, so no latex present at all. Easy to load using the pump on the Slippery Stuff Gel bottle (loads from the top), pop the plunger in, and remove air (takes 3 seconds). I usually let a little bit come out the end as a pre-lube, to make insertion easier. After use, takes 5 seconds to rinse it out.

Mine came with one plunger and three loading tubes, but I have never used more than one. It also comes with a little endcap, so you preload the syringe and transport it somewhere without it leaking, but I never found a real need for this either.

I found that it was a lot easier to use than a medicine dropper (which can't deliver all the lube, and is hard to clean).

HTH!
  • darwindarwin
    there would typically be some kind of seal on the interior, like an o-ring, and that is where the latex would be. looking at the photo of the LS on amazon i see something black on the interior. what is that? if it is black and dull it is latex, which is most likely unless they state latex-free. if it is black and shiny then it it is some kind of vinyl, and is latex-free and oil compatible.

darwin
  • Badger
    I'm not sure what it's made of, but one time I think I used either silicone or oil-based lube in it, and the cap swelled up and wouldn't seal. The same thing happened to the piston. I had to clean them quickly with brake cleaner to shrink them back to normal size. So I suspect they are some kind of rubber.
  • darwindarwin
    ok, then i would nominate the infant ibuprofen syringe as the "perfect" lube injector:
    - it is cheap and widely available
    - it is easy to clean
    - the plunger is removable so you can insert more solid lubes (like coconut butter) in the top
    - it is oil compatible
    - its length is just right
    - it is as thin or thinner then any other injector i have seen

darwin
  • The black rubber thing is attached to the plunger. Feels like the same rubber used in a regular syringe, and it serves as the pusher of the liquid, wiping down the sides of the tube as it goes. It does not feel like latex to me...but, I am not allergic to latex, so maybe I would not be an expert on this! :-)

I really like the rounded end of the tube, as opposed to the sharp-ish end of the medicine dropper. And, the diameter of the tube is pretty small...It feels a lot safer to me.
  • darwindarwin
    it is probably latex. if you use water based lubes, then it won't be a problem. but if you try oil based lubes it will ruin the shooter.

darwin
  • MindTravels
    Curious, could someone take the time to upload a picture of the infant ibuprofen syringe? Googling it doesn't provide definitive results.

Anyways, I'm assuming said syringe does fine with KY Jelly?