Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

In this Discussion

Get me BMing, please
  • MyTurn
    Hi,

I guess for a while, I've known I am not a regular...guy, in terms of having a bowel movement. Lately (in the last year or so), I've "improved" to having a BM about once every 2 days, sometimes, I will have one for two days in a row (when a night of whisky and beer is involved).

For a while, I found this convenient as I have a BM on clockwork, every 2 days, at night time when at home (this saves time, toilet paper, saves me trying to shit in the tiny work cubicle - you have to straddle the toilet seat to shut the door behind you), etc. But it is not healthy.

Obviously, this makes Aneros sessions, far more of a planned, scheduled, rigid affair. My life is almost like sick joke or sitcom. I usually shit Mon, Wed, Fri, Sat (coz of alcohol). That's how bad things are.

Is there anything I can do, dietwise, to help myself be more regular? What should I be eating? What do you all eat?

Thanks.
  • Badger
    Have a salad every day for lunch, eat prunes or drink prune juice or cider daily. Actually, eat more fruits and vegetables, and try to avoid highly refined foods like white bread and such. I found that eating a simple lettuce salad with croutons and dressing at lunch every day, made me have regular, clean BMs every day, sometimes twice a day.
  • ForUs
    I second what Badger has said. If you aren't a big veggie or salad eater though, some other ideas are to have oatmeal for breakfast, or maybe popcorn for a snack before bed. Do keep in mind that a rapid increase of fiber (I mean extreme) can backfire. Ease into it, and make sure you drink plenty of water.
    My personal favorites are an apple a day and beans once or twice a week.

Mmmm, I should make split pea soup for dinner this week...

You also mentioned that you were concerned about the amount of time. I'm pretty sure you'll find that as things get moving that you'll spend much less time hogging the bathroom. :)
  • MyTurn
    Thanks for the advice guys. I am going to change my diet starting monday.
  • HelixerHelixer
    Has the feedback so far given you your much desired BM?

If not, there's a fool proof method that worked with me even when I tried that bad nutritional Atkins diet, with so little carbohydrate you find yourself having backdoor trouble, but with coffee, no problemo, lock and load baby.
    Do you take any coffee in the morning? Just make yourself a strong cup of coffee and then make sure there's a toilet free and plenty of detergent to cover the stench!
  • Car_01
    You should also consider taking a good quality probiotic like Theralac or VSL3. You may find Butyrex or Butyraid helpful as well.

Car_01
  • MyTurn
    Helixer, I have coffee every morning. Not strong-strong I suppose but of decent strength. I haven't had the chance to shop for salad at the moment, but it's Saturday tomorrow so I will then. Oatmeal? I will buy some of that too.

Car_01, I will have to write those probiotics in my phone and go to the pharmacy. I really would prefer natural, long-lasting diet changes rather than popping a pill. Once you stop "pilling", you're back to how you were, right?
  • You want to poop? Here's the recipe. I use to have your problem.
    1. 15 minutes of cardio per day minimum.
    2. Stay away from pasta, white breads, all bread if you can
    3. Stay well hydrated. I drink 1.5 - 2 L water a day.
    4. Apples - 2 day if you can
    5. THE BIG ONE - Psyllium husk after dinner. Or before dinner. Doesn't really matter with me. 1tbs psyllium husk in 1 cup water. Chase with 1 more cup water. If you can do the psyllium husk 2 times a day.
    6. Ginger - I usually eat about 4-6" of the raw ginger per day. Helps my stomach immensely.
    7. Stomach massaging. Pretty self explanatory.

Before you start anything, I would do a salt water flush. Google it.

This above regimen has saved my life, seriously. I had more stomach problems that you could imagine. Gas, bloating, diarrhea, this and that. Psyllium husk and ginger are the two best things on the planet as far as I'm concerned.

G' Day
  • HelixerHelixer
    Although it's generally sound advice I disagree with:

2. Stay away from pasta, white breads, all bread if you can

IMO nothing wrong with brown bread, on the contrary, a lack of carbohydrate and ruffage might make BM-ing more troublesome

BTW MyTurn: a big cup of strong coffee! that should have your running to the toilet in no time
  • Cut down or eliminate meat from your diet. Also cheese will clog up the pipes. Make vegetables the center of your diet. After I converted to a plant based diet, I started having 4-5 BMs a day.
  • Love_isLove_is
    Hello MyTurn, :)

A lot of good advice here of varying opinions. You'll have to choose what makes the most sense for you. Basically it boils down to higher fiber intake, whether that is more fruits and vegetables (the healthier route), or adding psyllium husk powder powder(little nutrient content. Ease into it gradually), and increased water intake (Stop drinking excessive soda's, coffee, tea, and juices, and replace with water).

As far as the Probiotics go. You don't need to pop these pills if you eat raw(meaning not pasteurized) fermented foods which give you the same lacto-bacilis and other bacteria that are in these pills. Both methods replenish the healthy bacteria in your digestive system. Some classic examples of raw fermented vegetables is sauerkraut and pickles. You won't however find these at your typical grocery store super market. You have to goto a health food store and find them in the refrigerated section. Although they tend to be quite expensive buying them pre-made. But you can save a lot of money and ferment foods yourself. This is what I do. I've made the best raw fermented, and organic, pickles and sauerkraut that you'll ever taste. And they are extremely healthy for you, as they filled with good bacteria for digestive system, nutrients, and fiber from the vegetables. In addition, your are not getting all kinds of white vinegar in your system that you would normally get from eating typical off the shelf pickles. Reference the following link.
    Wild Fermentation

Love_is
  • MyTurn
    Love_is, thanks for that.

Since last week, I have been eating porridge oats for breakfast and a Heinz soup for lunch instead of a Peppered Steak slice (cut up meat in pastry with gravy) for breakfast and Super Noodles (AFAIK, British junk food: Batchelors Supernoodles ) for lunch.

So far, not much better, but it's only been four days!
  • ForUs
    Great job, My Turn! You're right, it might take a bit. Make sure you're getting plenty of (non-caffienated, non-carbonated) fluids in as well. Water is one of those things that you truly develop a taste for after awhile of making yourself drink it. When I need to get back in the habit I set regular times through the day and just chug a glass. It doesn't take long before the kidneys quit throwing a party and I notice how much better I feel in general. HTH!