Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

In this Discussion

Polishing
  • The wiki mentions polishing Aneros units as a potential modification. Have any of you done this? What were the results? I would not predict it would affect performance much; perhaps slightly better lube efficiency, but probably not enough to even notice. I mean, aren't they already pretty smooth? :confused:
  • For clarification: by polishing, the wiki refers to buffing with progressively finer sandpaper and then with cloth. It does NOT recommend adding a chemical polish/wax of any kind.
  • rookrook
    An old thread (that I can't now retrieve) indicated that the early HIH and Aneros tools had a fine surface roughness to better retain the lubricants then in use. I think this was in the era before pre-lube came into vogue. So if one does not pre-lube and uses a heavier lube, a highly polished surface might not be the way to go. (i.e. the 'natural' surface might better carry lube through the sphincter during insertion.)

As a "pre-luber" I like my polished Helix and MGX. I've left my smaller tools (SGX and Eupho), "as-is."

Somewhere beyond 1200 grit makes for a smoother surface and I've used a fine rubbing compound (Turtle Wax's T-241). Helixbill suggested using a progressive approach with Scotchbrite pads -- he noted that the white pads were the finest.
  • Rook, isn't it potentially dangerous to use something like Turtle Wax? You said you like them better - can you please describe the difference? And yeah, I searched for existing threads on the topic before posting this one.

I highly doubt I will do this; I ask mostly out of curiosity.
  • enigma
    This is the original thread on Aneros polishing

http://www.aneros.com/forum/f5/progasm-mod-10902/

I polished my MGX and Progasm, and am happy with the results.
  • Badger
    How about using one of those headlamp polishing kits to bring it to a reflective shine? Has anyone tried this?
  • rookrook
    [QUOTE=La petite mort;86154]Rook, isn't it potentially dangerous to use something like Turtle Wax? .

Not "Turtle Wax" per se. Suggestion was for Turtle Wax's abrasive rubbing compound and polishing compounds. Then scrub well to remove any residual material. Sorry for the ambiguity.