Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

In this Discussion

support: please get rid of the popups!
  • darwindarwin
    this is a recap of a complaint i have made in another thread somewhere.

in the index page, when you mouseover the name of the thread, a popup appears showing the first sentence of the thread.

man is this annoying. every time i move my mouse around when i am trying to read this page these damn popups block what i am trying to read.

plus they are useless. since when is the first sentence of a post enough? worse, it always shows the first sentence of the first post, not even the latest post.

lose it dudes!

darwin
  • This is a "feature" on another board I visit as well. While I don't have too much difficulty getting around it, it is rather annoying and I wouldn't mind having the ability to turn it off.
  • This is a complaint that I would have to disagree with, respectfully of course. I personally like the preview of the thread. Now, I'll give you that it is only helpful the first time the thread is created, or maybe one or two posts in as a reminder, but after that it does tend to loose its value. But, initially, I like to see what the topic is about. Quite frankly, it saves me time of going back a page if I'm not interested in the topic. Just my two cents on the issue. :)
  • DeepDeep
    Again I agree with you, I think we share the same sensibilities. The new forum does need a lot of work, hopefully it will be sorted soon.
  • darwindarwin
    [QUOTE=rikaaim;85421]This is a complaint that I would have to disagree with, respectfully of course. I personally like the preview of the thread. Now, I'll give you that it is only helpful the first time the thread is created, or maybe one or two posts in as a reminder, but after that it does tend to loose its value. But, initially, I like to see what the topic is about. Quite frankly, it saves me time of going back a page if I'm not interested in the topic. Just my two cents on the issue. :)

a compromise solution would be to reduce the mouseover area to the name of the thread, rather than the whole cell. this way you can deliberately get the popup (and easily) while those of us who have no need for them don't have to seem them flicker constantly.

darwin
  • Love_isLove_is
    Hello Darwin, :)

Actually this feature is quite useful, but it hasn't been implemented properly. For this to be useful, it needs to show at least four lines of the first post. This is how I've seen it used in other forums. The idea being that you can have an idea if the topic of the thread is anything you want to read, or is relevant to what you are looking for without having to open the thread. Which is particularly useful when going through forum search results. I assume you are using your mouse to help you keep track of where you are when reading the thread titles. Keep in mind you can still do so by moving your mouse either to the left or right away from the thread title and icon without the thread preview coming up.

Love_is
  • enigma
    Hi Darwin,

I was going to say I didn't like this feature, but trying it tonight it seems much improved, before, the box hung around for some second before going away but now goes immediatley when cursor moved away.
    I think this function is more useful to those who only drop in occasionally.
    I had a look at the forum in IE ( I always use FF ) it was much slower and thought it was going to crash at one point.

Enigma.
  • carjockcarjock
    The pop ups don't bother me either way. Its just another forum format. Something to get used to.