Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

In this Discussion

support: problems w/ new forum
  • Edit
    hi support-

here are some problems for you to look into:
    - no avatars
    - option to stay logged in is missing
    - the red thread titles are very hard on eyes. you should really change this

thanks,
    darwin
  • Edit
    I agree with Darwin re red font colour. Light red on darker red, black on dark red, all very stylish for those with 20/20 vision...

I did eventually find an option to stay logged in when I tried to reply to this thread. The community page recognised me in the list of members viewing but when I tried to reply to this thread I was asked to log in. The 'keep me logged in' option was at the bottom.

Most forums have an obvious 'Welcome Guest' or 'You are not logged in - log in here'. No doubt usage will bring familiarity tho. :)

As Darwin says, a return of the avatars would be nice too.

Overall I like the look, some tweaks would improve 'readability'.

Old Wolf
  • Edit
    I'm with these guys, some of this is tough to read. The default font on the posts is, IMHO, hard to read. Perhaps a little bolder font would allow for more comfortable reading.
    Just like the size of the font right here as I reply to this. Some of us have enough trouble reading computer screens to start with, and the size of this font is just too small.

Thanks for everything you guys do. I love the forum, and I can't imagine not having it.

Cockadoodle
  • Edit
    - red has been an issue since O'Reilly's first book on page design -- suggestion: get rid of the red. Then, see if the font complaints go away.

forum navigation toolbar headers for "Commjnity - Forum Actions - Quick Links" are OK in Chrome and FF3 but aren't stable in IE. Looks like a javascript issue with I.E. & WinXPpro

login/logout and session cookie protocols on the old board seemed intuitive and easy to use. I'm at a loss to comprehend the underlying logic underlying this paradigm. (perhaps it isn't a paradigm -- just a work in progress.) :(

typeface -- I've switched from my 'computer glasses' to my reading bifocals and am "hunched up" to get closer to my laptop screen.
    Side benefit -- the improved airflow across the bottom of the laptop reduces the operating temperature of the machine. :\
    Side benefit -- good posture to practice Jack Johnson's breathing protocol !! :)
  • Edit
    Interesting points rook!

I too am having vision problems with the default type and SIZE here now. Very painful.

You mention Jack Johnston at KSMO! Here we are here at Aneros adopting the vBulletin 4.0 forum website software, that we are somewhat familiar with using the 3 version at KSMO, AND where we are going through the preps to switch up to vB 4.0 there too! Great for we dualists/multiplists once thing settle in comfortably here.

Support, are we going to be adopting the new CMS features here too as things do settle in on the basics? If so I would suggest seeking a Print function button in the Articles widgets!!! Thanks.

here we are avatars of our former selves in a transforming world in motion

artform
  • Edit
    Hhhmmmmm !!!

Even tho' logged in, albeit as a "Guest", no Edit function on here to allow corrections of my typos in the post above!

patience is the essence of this practice

artform
  • Edit
    Hi Guys, :)

Perhaps this was already fixed, or there is something different about my setup using Firefox 3.0.17 on Ubuntu Linux 9.04, but the only red fonts I see are at the top of the page:

New Posts, Private Messages, FAQ, Calender, Community, Forum Actions, Quick Links,

The line showing the tree structure of where I am at in the forum that is to the right of "Reply to Thread"

Post a reply to the thread: {with the thread name here}

While I admit the red fonts are not the greatest choice as far as readability. I have no problem reading them on my LCD monitor. I know the fonts are kind of on the small side. But the previous version forum had the same problem, particularly in chat. So I don't see much difference. I personally don't have an issue seeing or reading this size font. If you are using Mozilla Firefox browser, you can use the key combinations Ctrl + to zoom in and increase font size, Ctrl - to decrease font size, and Ctrl 0 (That's a zero, not an oh) To reset the fonts back to default size. And yes the small black fonts against the red background of Home, Forum, Blogs, Chat, and Wiki is not the greatest of contrast. Thankfully it is only those five links. Perhaps they could just be increased in size or boldened to make the contrast better.

I have noticed that my "Forum Settings" have reset themselves once again. And all the settings for private messages have disappeared. In addition, going to my "Inbox", "My Profile", and "Event Reminders" in the settings area I get the following message.

vBulletin Message You have been banned for the following reason:
    No reason was specified.
    Date the ban will be lifted: Never

I'm guessing were going to have a little bit of growing pains, while the techs at Aneros get this new version of forum software tweaked, fine tuned, and de-bugged. I'm sure it will be helpful for them if we point out here in this thread any issues of functions not working.

Love_is

Edit: By the way artform, when this system finally allows you to login properly, you can edit an already submitted post such as I am doing here.
  • Edit
    Oh! Also, I know the missing avatars has been mentioned, but what I question to the techs is:

Are they only temporarily missing?

Or are they gone for good and have to be replaced?

Love_is
  • inc63
    Mmmm . . . . . when I logged in this morning I thought the time showing on New Posts was wrong. I found that all the Forum Settings I set yesterday had vanished and I had to reset them again. Time now seems to be OK so suppose all else is fine too.

Do note that all posters are as Guest now - yesterday I think the designations were OK

Old Private Messages are now present - fixed since yesterday - thanks Aneros Support. :D
  • You may need to reset your options in the Forum Settings. I notice mine drop off now and then and have to be re-selected.
  • artisanartisan
    Overall, like the new look, even the red font - think i must be the only one!! - be great when bugs worked out, cannot add to my blog, keep getting message saying 'page not found', and cannot access the chat
  • BusterBuster
    I just need to spend some time moving around and becoming familiar with it, but I am sure it will work for me in the long run. :)
  • Go back to the old format.
  • artisanartisan
    [QUOTE=big jimbo;85278]Go back to the old format.

Do agree a bit with big jimbo...was there a reason for the changes, or is it a case of change for changes sake?
  • rumelrumel
    Artisan, et al.

This upgrade was not a case of change for change sake.
    This is a major upgrade to the Aneros website taking place. The old software for the forum had been expanded to its limits with no new functionality really possible. This new website software has some exciting expanded capabilities the previous one lacked. This is a much more robust platform. If any of you remember the FAQ section of the old forum and now look at the new FAQ, you will be impressed with the depth of information regarding the functionality of all the aspects of this new look Forum.

Some major new features we will be seeing exploited are things like direct video and image embedment in posts as well as document attachment opportunities. The Calendar has some good potential for creating reminders for Chat session periods or reminders for things like “Full Moon” sessions. There is the potential to create specific topic user interest groups.

There is greater potential for integration of all the material which exists on the Forum as well as creating greater throughput and linkages which in turn will make accessing the information easier.

As [EMAIL="support@aneros.com"]support@aneros.com[/EMAIL] said Please bear with us as we take care of the issues. We should have most of them sorted out tonight.

The new forum is the first of many new changes that you will see on Aneros.com. As always please direct any feed back to us via email or PM. Thanks!”

Guys, I am very optimistic this upgrade (despite the initial bugs) is going to lead to some exciting new interactions and connections being made. I have a feeling [EMAIL="support@aneros.com"]support@aneros.com[/EMAIL] is making a sincere effort to keep this as one of the most unique Forum/information sites on the internet. Let’s give them an opportunity to dazzle us by being a bit patient and help them fix the bugs by politely informing them when we find them.
  • [QUOTE=rumel;85333]
    Guys, I am very optimistic this upgrade (despite the initial bugs) is going to lead to some exciting new interactions and connections being made. I have a feeling [EMAIL="support@aneros.com"]support@aneros.com[/EMAIL] is making a sincere effort to keep this as one of the most unique Forum/information sites on the internet. Let’s give them an opportunity to dazzle us by being a bit patient and help them fix the bugs by politely informing them when we find them.

I fully agree Rumel. While it will take some time getting used to the new style, I have already found several options that I love, that were not previously available. Video and image embedding into the post directly is wonderful. I think more choice in style and personalization is great as well. Overall, I give kudos to Aneros! Though, I do miss the preview post option. Maybe I'll find that soon enough. :)
  • If it ain't broke, why fix it? This new format is UGLY, and harder to read!
  • rookrook
    Hi folks. great work the last few days!! Congrats on the leaps and bounds of progress.

Issue: Long thread and post titles (in white) are overlaying the forum nav choices.

Happens with either FF3 or Chrome 2 on XP-pro with Intel 915GM series video
    Also with FF2 on XP-home with AMD/ATI Radeon U200 series video
    Also with Macs with FF on either Panther or Tiger (sorry about the high-button shoes) :)
  • darwindarwin
    of course thanks go to support for taking on the task of upgrading. this is quite excellent.

and also for bearing with us users as we help the adjust the thing.

in that spirit, here is another complaint: i find the page listing the threads much harder to read than the old one. the red font is gone (yeah!) but it is still very hard on the eyes. here are the problems i can figure out:
    1) the bold font seems too bold. i don't know why, but i have trouble focusing on it.
    2) each row takes up too much vertical space. the space between the titles is too far to easily span (this is because of the uselessly huge icons on the left, and the thread starter being under rather than next to the name of the thread
    3) the popups showing the leading sentences of the thread is not useful and very annoying. the popups keep popping up when i am trying to scroll around the page.

darwin
  • [QUOTE=rumel;85333](Note : Underlined Text is a Hyper-Link)
    Artisan, et al.

This upgrade was not a case of change for change sake.
    This is a major upgrade to the Aneros website taking place. The old software for the forum had been expanded to its limits with no new functionality really possible. This new website software has some exciting expanded capabilities the previous one lacked. This is a much more robust platform. If any of you remember the FAQ section of the old forum and now look at the new FAQ, you will be impressed with the depth of information regarding the functionality of all the aspects of this new look Forum.

Some major new features we will be seeing exploited are things like direct video and image embedment in posts as well as document attachment opportunities. The Calendar has some good potential for creating reminders for Chat session periods or reminders for things like “Full Moon” sessions. There is the potential to create specific topic user interest groups.

There is greater potential for integration of all the material which exists on the Forum as well as creating greater throughput and linkages which in turn will make accessing the information easier.

As [EMAIL="support@aneros.com"]support@aneros.com[/EMAIL] said Please bear with us as we take care of the issues. We should have most of them sorted out tonight.

The new forum is the first of many new changes that you will see on Aneros.com. As always please direct any feed back to us via email or PM. Thanks!”

I agree Rumel. It just takes a while to get comfortable with the software, but I think once we do everybody will be happy with all the new stuff it can do. :)
    Bihsop
  • VoyagerVoyager
    Some strange things with the new format.
    It takes a lot longer to load compared with the old format.
    I know the net is a bit primitave in this part of the world but the old one was faster.

The list of active members and guests has grown.
    Previously it would say something like 2 members and 7 guests.
    Now 911 guests and 63 members are active.
    Something sure has changed.

We now have, Senior member, Junior menber, Member And Guest as titles under the user name.

No Avatar.

Something slightly alarming when I went to the Blog page, It welcomed me with my e mail address,
    where as before it just said welcome Voyager.
    I know my e mail so it seems a bit over the top to state it and is it secure ?

My mail box is now empty.All mails gone.

A thumbs down from me.

As Wuertstchen said "If it aint broke why fix it"
  • rookrook
    [QUOTE=Voyager;85381]Some strange things with the new format.
    It takes a lot longer to load compared with the old format.... snip

Here's some help with the speed of loading...
    I find that the new system seems faster and is better at exploiting broadband connections; however, it does assemble some voluminous web pages!

This might help:
    Go into your profile and . Near the bottom of the settings group you'll find "forum." click on that.
    Reduce the number of posts per page to "5". Then consider reversing the sequence of posts to put the most recent post at the top.

Remember to SAVE these new settings.

You'll find that there's a bit more delay as the server uses "5" rather than "forum default" but that should be paid back handsomely by the reduced download time for the shortened web page.

If you aren't seeing Avatars you can turn that on in your personal settings.
  • thhn
    I am also finding the loading time to be ever so slow. Thanks for that tip Rook - I changed it in my settings and will give it a try
  • Badger
    I already did that, and it lost them already. How do you make them stay? Keep doing it every time you log in, until it sticks?
  • rumelrumel
    rikaaim,
    If you choose the “Go Advanced” button below the “Quick Reply” editing box. It will take you to another editing box with all the functionality of the previous Forum. Just look to the bottom right of this new edit box and there is a “Preview Post” button for you.

Voyager,
    I have no explanation for why pages take a bit longer to load, I suspect it is because this software is much more complex. As regards the statistics being shown, the old forum listed that information within the previous 5 minutes of use, it is my understanding the current numbers being shown are based upon the previous 24 hours of use. I agree this is misleading and would like to see it reflect a shorter time frame, IMO no more than the previous hour of usage.

Near the bottom of this page – http://www.aneros.com/forum/profile.php?do=editoptions there is a check box to enable seeing Avatars, you need to make sure this box is checked to see them.
  • Badger
    It would be really nice for the forum to automatically check off a thread as read as you open them, instead of having to do it manually.
  • rookrook
    One nice navigation feature in the old forum for Chrome and FF2/3 browsers was:

When the back arrow was pressed to return to the index, the page returned to its prior position -- when support gets down to 'frosting on the cake' refinement it might do well to restore that feature.
  • RJT
    "Back" works correctly for me with the latest Chrome.

Also Chrome displays the new site much faster the IE8.
  • hulahula
    My two cents, this new format is incredibly slow, and has made it impossible for me to enjoy being here. I use Explorer. lousy graphics. I hope you fix these soon.
  • VoyagerVoyager
    Thank you Rook and Rumel for your help.
    Despite using computers for 30 years at work I am still not very good with them.
    Anybody remember typing DOS commands, and punch cards, punch paper tape ?

Reading posts is a lot quicker useing the reduced number of pages.
    The Avatar now works and my PM's are back.
    I did guess that the users on line was for the last 24 hours but the title is misleading.

One other thing, there was a notification on the bar near the top of the page.
    I clicked it and a drop down appeared. I could not read it as it was yellow text on a red backgroung.
    I did manage to read it using a different page.
    Perhaps it was just me.
  • Badger
    [QUOTE=Voyager;85481]Despite using computers for 30 years at work I am still not very good with them.
    Anybody remember typing DOS commands, and punch cards, punch paper tape ?

Here He Lies Moulding;
    His Dying Was Hard.
    They Shot Him for Folding
    An IBM Card.
  • rookrook
    OT - 1962: Burroughs B100, Tape I/O. Flexowriter hardcopy, drum memory. Vacuum tube flip-flops. We had it all.

Real men didn't use an assembler. Compilers & Hollerith cards were 'just around the corner.' What's DOS? :)
  • [QUOTE=rumel;85388]rikaaim,
    If you choose the “Go Advanced” button below the “Quick Reply” editing box. It will take you to another editing box with all the functionality of the previous Forum. Just look to the bottom right of this new edit box and there is a “Preview Post” button for you.

Sorry for such a long delay Rumel. I did find the preview post section. It also seems that CTRL key combinations work as well. such as CTRL B and CTRL I. I will have to look into the tags that you mentioned more. Overall, I think the problems are getting fixed. I had an issue with Login not showing up, but now there is a section for that too.

As for the "If it ain't broke, don't fix it", maybe it wasn't broke, but perhaps it was severely bent. I think the new forum, once fully debugged and operational, will attract new members and also be able to maintain expansion better. Only time will tell.
  • VoyagerVoyager
    DOS = Disk Operating System or something like that.

It has taken me 19 minutes to log on here tonight and to reach the Forum.
    You call this progress.
    It is like taking Concord out of service.
    What on earth is going on.
    Who are V Bulletin? not VERY GOOD.
  • rookrook
    Tried to insert an image into an advanced post. Opted to source it from "Computer." Selected and Uploaded the file (a gif) and noted that the whole path from root appeared in the window. Including my first name, last name and computer name on my home LAN. I aborted the post and took a deep breath.

Suggestion: How about changing image loads into the advanced editor to source only from an album.
    That would allow us to "buffer" material through the album in our profile.
  • Badger
    It doesn't seem to do a very good job of considering a thread as being read, even after checking the "Mark This Forum Read" under the forum tools tab at the upper right of the General Discussion Forum, above the Last Post By header. And the View First Unread tab at the top of the thread column doesn't work very well or very fast, either. Loading the forums is very slow as well.

What gives? Can Support help us out on this?

Update: The automatic login quit this evening, after it was working this morning.
  • Love_isLove_is
    Hello Folks, :)

Please be advised that your forum settings may have been changed once again. I ended up getting a bunch of notifications in my e-mail account today for private messages sent to me. Which I never have e-mails sent to me by default for privacy reasons. The following was enabled which I normally have disabled:

Receive Email from Administrators

Receive Email Notification of New Private Messages

Show New Private Message Notification Pop-up
  • rookrook
    [QUOTE=Love_is;85709]Hello Folks, :)

Please be advised that your forum settings may have been changed once again. ... snip ...

Yup, looks like some of this reverted back to a week ago. However, look on the bright side! We probably needed the practice in maintaining our profiles and settings...
  • Love_isLove_is
    Practice makes perfect! :D LOL

In addition, I just lost a good half hours work of posting a reply to a thread for a newbie. After making modifications and previewing the post, it finally told me that I could not post as there were too many images in the post. And yet, there were none in there!!! Grrrrrr!!

Love_is
  • DeepDeep
    I still can't upload an avatar. I know it was a blatant ripoff from the Aneros site but I'd still like to use it. How come everyone else can use avatars? Is there some forum trick I'm not aware of? :(
  • VoyagerVoyager
    Something else that has happened.
    If I search for the Aneros Forum using Google as I always have done I now get a HTTP 404 error.
    It never happened before with the old forum.
    If I search using Google Chrome it opens up the forum no problem.
    Strange but true.
  • VoyagerVoyager
    I now see that I joined the Forum in Jan 1970.
    It says so on my last post.
    I should be some sort of expert by now.
    Alas no.
  • rookrook
    [QUOTE=Voyager;85741]I now see that I joined the Forum in Jan 1970. It says so on my last post. I should be some sort of expert by now.
    Alas no.

I think it's related to quantity or frequency of posts, not longevity, maturity or quality of content. Sorry 'bout that. :(

Late edit:

Hey Voyager ... cool comment

sorry I wasn't thinking about what I was seeing -- and missed your wry humor 8) . Looks as though the 'join dates' for everyone got 'zeroed out.' rather strange selection of a base date. wonder how vBulletin picked that.
  • thhn
    Voyager:
    I have been having the same problem for days. I haven't been able to get on the site for the last few days.
    my browser would open the site and it would immediatly go to the same error message.
    this is the first time I have been able to get on and I did it by replying to your message in my email
    hope that problem is fixed. I don't like going through the day without my forumn fix
  • alvalv
    [QUOTE=thhn;85752]Voyager:
    I have been having the same problem for days. I haven't been able to get on the site for the last few days.
    my browser would open the site and it would immediatly go to the same error message.
    this is the first time I have been able to get on and I did it by replying to your message in my email
    hope that problem is fixed. I don't like going through the day without my forumn fix

On one my PC Microsoft Internet Explorer and this site are not friends - The Home page aneros.com is OK but on enetering the forum I get Error 404. Google Chrome and Morzilla Firefox work OK

This I cannot reproduce this error on my laptop - all three IE work OK with this site
  • rookrook
    [QUOTE=alv;85753]On one my PC Microsoft Internet Explorer and this site are not friends - The Home page aneros.com is OK but on enetering the forum I get Error 404. Google Chrome and Morzilla Firefox work OK ....

Due to court cases between Microsoft and most everyone else in the business, script support in IE was changed in both I.E. and XP. Some of this 'jitter' occurred on specific dates or by 'service-pack' rather than by version number.

Since the implementation of vBulletin I've seen both the rendering and navigation issues with IE on menus supported by Javascript. While this is certainly frustrating to unregistered newcomers (aka potential customers) to the Aneros site, I think support has bigger fish to fry. Alternative code to support IE wouldn't be at the top of my list of things-to-do-today.

The feature set seems to be changing every couple of days and, until there is a stable configuration it will be difficult to stomp out all the small brushfires. Personally, login and authentication is a major annoyance since that affects navigation, forum presentation, mail etc.

My workaround: Always login as soon as entering the Forum and stay logged in. Trying to visit the forum as a 'guest' than deciding to login to draft a response is an invitation to session death or loss of one's text. (sure it's a self inflicted wound but it's maddening)

For the time being, FF and Chrome are doing a good job.
  • Badger
    For the last few days, I could not access the forum at all, but after a few emails to support, and they apparently fixed the problem, at least for me.
  • thhn
    whatever the problem was, it seems corrected now. It must have been an issue on the aneros end as I didn't change anything on my end. I just assumed it was another bug with the new forumn
    I'm happy to have this resolved
  • Badger
    The "View First Unread" tab at the top of the page still doesn't work; it seems to be about 5 days behind. Also, clicking on the "Mark this Forum as Read" tab still doesn't work very well; the next time I'm on the page, especially after restarting the computer, it still lists things I read a few days ago as unread.

Can anybody help?
  • Hi Deep, in regard to your probs loading an avatar, make sure it isn't too big. I cannot remember seeing a reminder when I reloaded mine after the changes, but originally the max size was I think about 80x80 pixels and 49kb, or there abouts.
  • hulahula
    Well, after several days of being unable to get onto this forum, I switched to Firefox from IE, and it loads so much better. Still a little slower than it used to be.