Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

In this Discussion

personal grooming systems advice
  • J4J4
    I just broke my old beard trimmer and am looking for a grooming system upgrade that can take care of everything.

In the Poll section of the forum there is a great discussion on shaving the groin, perineum and “pink starfish”.

An all around choice a couple of years ago seemed to be the Phillips Bodygroom. I’m curious if anyone has an opinion on this product or any new products that may be used for beard/mustache trimming as well as with attachments for the groin area.

I have had little luck shaving down there with safety razors as it is – and over the time period of my Aneros use I seem to be shaving/trimming all the hair below my neck and growing/trimming all the hair above.

Youtube has a funny little Gillette video on the benefits of “the shorter the brush the taller the tree”. I’m also appreciative of societal advancements in acceptance of men’s grooming so I can also get rid of my cute little pink women’s safety razors.

Anybody have a total grooming system that they swear by?

J4
  • Hi, J4!

I have the Phillips Bodygroom BG2020 and it's good for trimming everywhere below the neck, but I don't use it on my 'kiwis' or perineum. Even with extreme care, the raphe (ridge) gets nicked by the trimmer. I examined the Remington equivalent in the store, and the holes in the foil appear a bit smaller, but that could be wishful thinking on my part. At the time of my purchase, there wasn't an all-purpose trimmer/shaver available -- they were specifically designed for above the neck or below the neck, not both.

:oops: I use a woman's trimmer/shaver that is designed for the bikini line :oops:. It seems to be more gentle with the bumps behind my scrotum. I discovered dusting your privates with corn starch or non-talc body powder helps to reduce friction and discomfort. I knock down the undergrowth every other day or so, but leave the carrot top (something about totally nude makes me look 90+yrs old!).

I assume this is the poll to which you refer:
    http://www.aneros.com/forum/do-you-shave-your-perineum-t3094.html?highlight=hair%20removal

Thanks for bringing this topic to the forum. It will be beneficial for many of us who like our little buggers slippery.

slipperybugger
  • daddeo
    Yep, I just use my orange and white plastic single edge Bic disposable razor.
    I just shave my balls and the perenium (if I did not spell that right, I guess I won't be too embarassed). I shave in the morning in the shower, then I generally shave that area at night before I go to bed, so that my wife does not have to feel the scruff. The growth is similar to beard growth. Gotta shave there daily, once you start.
  • Badger
    Man, you guys are a lot braver than me! I have too many wrinkles and bumps in that area to navigate with any sharp object or cutting device (skin tags and such). For me, I found Veet to work well if done carefully and thoroughly. The secret is to not leave it on too long (3-6 min), and to hold the skin taught and scrape slowly but deliberately, using firm pressure. A careful but thorough rinse and then spray with something like Suave Powder antiperspirant (unscented, if possible), which seems to prevent ingrown hairs as well as making everything dry, smooth and slippery. Then I'm good for at least a week or two.
  • Huh.

One word: wax.

No denying, it's excruciatingly painful, but you can self-wax and the effects last much longer than shaving (and without the irritation of regrowth stubble). For me, it's worth it, but I can tell you it's not exactly a good time. It accomplished my goal of understanding more about the waxing process (and to stand up to women complaining that waxing their legs hurts), but I can't generally recommend it unless you feel like working on your pain threshold.

Nowadays I just use a bit to, er, periodically polish the pillar, as it were. I've done full-sack a few times, and while the results are great, my wife was only lukewarm about the result, so it's infrequent. I've, er, cleaned the crevasse of undergrowth once--worked well, but nervewracking since if you shift wrong you stand the very real chance of gluing your ass shut in a most painful and embarassing way.
  • artformartform
    Well HOswald, after your report, I'm "sticking" to my use of the Bodygroom!!! :shock: :lol:

Movember, "grow a moustache as a fund raiser and public awareness for prostate cancer research and prevention" month, aka November, is just over around the planet.

So, Slipperybugger and ohmy06, I too have taken to leaving a "moustache" at the top of the pubes. Everything from there to and including around my anus, between the legs and cheeks is shaved comfortably with my Bodygroom. I do shave a "landing strip" through the moustache middle, so like a BMW grill, it is a parted two-parter. I wonder if we can interest the Movember organizers... a new men's fashion photo gallery website... a fund razor event... ... ...

Trim just a little higher daddeo and join the moustachers? :lol:

J4, mine is the original Bodygroom for use only from below the neck, so can't help with the newer combo model. Some day I hope to have the whole area (except the moustache!) done permanently with laser treatments.

Anyone out there who has gone that route?

all the most skin contacting energies exchanging and pubic tonsorial artistry all

artform
  • enigma
    I think like the waxing this could be for masochists only

http://www.jmldirect.com/src/AW/Satin-Pure-PS5684/
  • Edit
    well...after about 6 months of going 'natural man', i took my razor in hand, and made a clean sweep in the scrotal, perineum area, as well as a trim in the bush area...have to say, lookin very well manicured now,,,,, but...itching like crazy....lol :? guess i'll now be bound to keeping smooth for a while and see if i get any different aneros feelings now from a less intrusive 'grassy area'..........chuck
  • HOswald said:

Huh.

One word: wax.

No denying, it's excruciatingly painful, but you can self-wax and the effects last much longer than shaving (and without the irritation of regrowth stubble). For me, it's worth it, but I can tell you it's not exactly a good time. It accomplished my goal of understanding more about the waxing process (and to stand up to women complaining that waxing their legs hurts), but I can't generally recommend it unless you feel like working on your pain threshold.

Nowadays I just use a bit to, er, periodically polish the pillar, as it were. I've done full-sack a few times, and while the results are great, my wife was only lukewarm about the result, so it's infrequent. I've, er, cleaned the crevasse of undergrowth once--worked well, but nervewracking since if you shift wrong you stand the very real chance of gluing your ass shut in a most painful and embarassing way.

I used to wax, but now I use this epilator:

http://www.amazon.com/Emjoi-AP-18-Emagine-Opposed-Epilator/dp/B001GS6OB4/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=hpc&qid=1259970781&sr=8-2

I do everything on my package. It takes about 20 minutes every few weeks. Great part is no buying and heating wax, along with cleaning up the mess. Can't recommend it enough. So much better than waxing.
  • Billy11
    I use my Conair beard trimmer I got about 7 years ago. Still does the job.
    I waxed once and had mixed results. My bush area ended up getting these really painful big red bumps and it took a long time for them to go away. But what I really liked about the waxing is my ass and crack. When I showered it felt really good when I washed back there. It was so amazing smooth, something I hadn't felt since I was a kid. The cool part about the wax is that it lasted for quite some time. I was afraid though that when it grew back in back there that the stubble would hurt like hell but for some reason it never did.
    I'll definitely wax back there again but never again on my front pubes. Those red bumps aren't worth it.
    And I guess some people could have a problem with the pain of waxing but to me it's really not that bad.
  • Hm, anon--interesting. Bit spendy to try on spec, but definitely worth a look.
  • I agree with the idea of waxing. But I get a brazilian wax (pubic area, penis, scrotum, perineum, and anal crevice) about once evey five - six weeks from a professional at a day spa. It can be a bit expensive ( about $60- $80) a wax but it is worth it. The first couple of times you wax it is painful but after those first few times it simply becomes maintenance and is a lot less painful. Aside from having less hair grow back each time I wax I also stay smooth for about four weeks prior to any sort of regrowth. The regrowth is also much softer and very fine(it is not like stubble from shaving). Because the hair is much softer when it grows back it also eliminates the itchiness involved with shaving. I can't say anything bad about getting waxed aside from the expense.
  • Car_01
    By far, the best grooming device for the testicles is the Seiko Cleancut ES 1080. It leaves a nice,
    smooth result with minimal blood loss! The Seiko PS-335 trimmer is very good for trimming longer hairs so you can shave them with the Cleancut. You can find tthem at www.seikocleancut.com or on Amazon.

The shaving foil on the Remington BHT-2000 is very good, but the trimmer attachment is very sharp and too risky to use IMHO. The shaving foil on the BHT-6000 is also very good. It has a larger foil head so it is quicker than the other shavers.

The Bodygroom is good for doing other surrounding areas, including the anus. It is very easy to cut yourself if you don't hold the head completely level. They should offer a shaving attachment without the trimmer blades as an option.

I do agree that it is easier to keep everything smooth and slippery if you shave every day or at least every other day.

Car_01
  • J4J4
    Gentlemen,

Thank you all for your input. So far, I am just continuing to get hairier. The BG2020 has been revamped into the BG2030 (promising less nicks) – but I cannot find it in any local stores yet AND it says it is not recommended for use on facial hair?!? (Don’t know why)

I’ll have to admit, that I am a little disappointed that the market has divided a man’s grooming needs into Above the Neck and Below the Neck. The hair care kits that are advertised as Total Body Grooming Systems seem to be a couple of attachments short.

So, in the meantime, I am going to try my wife’s Epilator (thanks for that suggestion – I forgot we had one) down under and go all ZZ Top up above.

J4
  • Disposable razors? OUCH!! I use the Gillette Fusion with some Neutrogena Men's Shaving Gel. It does the job very nicely and I only have to maintain it once a week. Takes me about 15 minutes to get everything nice and smooth.
  • artformartform
    Hey J4 and All!

NEWS FLASH!!!

J4 said:

Gentlemen,

Thank you all for your input. So far, I am just continuing to get hairier. The BG2020 has been revamped into the BG2030 (promising less nicks) – but I cannot find it in any local stores yet AND it says it is not recommended for use on facial hair?!? (Don’t know why)

I’ll have to admit, that I am a little disappointed that the market has divided a man’s grooming needs into Above the Neck and Below the Neck. The hair care kits that are advertised as Total Body Grooming Systems seem to be a couple of attachments short.

So, in the meantime, I am going to try my wife’s Epilator (thanks for that suggestion – I forgot we had one) down under and go all ZZ Top up above.

J4

I received a Braun CruZer3 for Christmas, which claims to be the whole body full mower deal! So far have modernized my facial beard and shaved around the new form. Excellent results! Next the nether regions. Full report at 11:00... ...NEWS FLASH 2: Very Smooth! No Nicks in scrotum and groin shave test!! Very Promising... Full Report after full south face shave.

Don't forget Full Moon Club January 31st!: The Blue Moon

Best wishes and shaves for 2010 all!
  • the epilator may not be for everyone... I tried it on my torso, keeping everything as clean and sterile as I could, and ended up with severe enough folliculitis that my doctor put me on antibiotics. :oops: I quit the epilator and only use the trimming attachment. Still have ingrown hairs and some infected follicles several months later even though I've been using TendSkin. Glad I didn't experiment with the device on my groin :shock:
  • Car_01
    [QUOTE=artform;84474]Hey J4 and All!

NEWS FLASH!!!

I received a Braun CruZer3 for Christmas, which claims to be the whole body full mower deal! So far have modernized my facial beard and shaved around the new form. Excellent results! Next the nether regions. Full report at 11:00... ...NEWS FLASH 2: Very Smooth! No Nicks in scrotum and groin shave test!! Very Promising... Full Report after full south face shave.

Don't forget Full Moon Club January 31st!: The Blue Moon

Best wishes and shaves for 2010 all!

That is not shown on the Braun USA website. Could it be the same as the Series 1 currently sold in the US?

Series 1 shaver models - Braun

Car_01
  • How about a straight razor? An extra perk: a mistake or two in the learning process may leave you no balls to shave. Now that's a permanent solution.
  • artformartform
    Hi Car_01! … :D

[QUOTE=Car_01;87739]That is not shown on the Braun USA website. Could it be the same as the Series 1 currently sold in the US?

Series 1 shaver models - Braun

Car_01

Here it is on the Canadian Braun website, under Facial Stylers, and advertises "all-over body shaving & trimming". They also have a "bodycruZer" with a Gillette razor head, available under BodyGroomer on your site too, which I find much less appealing. Corporate marketers tend to see we Canucks as more "European" and more open/relaxed about bodily issues and we tend to get this kind of thing a couple of years earlier, partially as a test market site before introducing a new concept or product line into the USA. Smart cars are another recent example.

cruZer - Braun

How close are you to the border Car_01? ;)

all the best grooming for orgasmic energies development and exchanging all

artform
  • Car_01
    [QUOTE=artform;87752]Hi Car_01! … :D

Here it is on the Canadian Braun website, under Facial Stylers, and advertises "all-over body shaving & trimming". They also have a "bodycruZer" with a Gillette razor head, available under BodyGroomer on your site too, which I find much less appealing. Corporate marketers tend to see we Canucks as more "European" and more open/relaxed about bodily issues and we tend to get this kind of thing a couple of years earlier, partially as a test market site before introducing a new concept or product line into the USA. Smart cars are another recent example.

cruZer - Braun

How close are you to the border Car_01? ;)

all the best grooming for orgasmic energies development and exchanging all

artform

Thanks for the link. The foil looks similar. Looks like the main difference is the trimming attachments and the way the built in trimmer is designed.
    I am most interested in the foil part. Maybe that will make it's way down here eventually. I am quite some distance from the border.

Some stores here did have the bodycruzer with the Fusion blade, now they no longer stock them. The trimmer on it looked very good, safe enough to use on the balls to remove a few days growth if necessary.

Car_01
  • J4J4
    After some length of time, I purchased the Bodygroom 2030 – the next generation model of one of the most recommended trimmers here. The 2030 promised closer shaves with less irritation.

It has two attachments, the Bodygroom trimmer is great – really makes it easy to trim body hair from the neck down. The attachment is built all wrong to trim facial hair, however.

The foil attachment may provide less irritation than the earlier model, but I have removed several layers of skin, no blood, using it on my balls. It reaches the perineum mostly sideways and I’ve been pretty hesitant to give it a good go at the “pink starfish”. Shaving parts you can only see in a mirror will remain a two person job for the future.

So overall I’d rate it a C-. It’s not “whole body”, gave me irritation and the design makes it awkward to try and reach everywhere. With careful manipulation, it does provide a nice finish.

The BG 2030 gets the minus because I still need to buy another trimmer for above the neck.

J4
  • Car_01
    FYI. Philips has just announced a new revised Bodygroom, the BG2040. I am not sure if the shaving foil and and intergrated trimmer are any different than the older models. I asked Philips and got different answers depending on who I talked to. At any rate, it is worth a look:

Philips - Total body grooming system BG2040/34 - Body grooming - Men's grooming - Personal care

Car_01
  • CA25CA25
    I have used a Schick Quattro for about five years now, or a Mach 3 while on travel. Shaft, sack, perineum all get it shaved off about three times a week. I leave a wide inverted kind of truncated triangle shape on top too, by shaving the sides. I also use my gfs Panasonic Bikini trimmer (ES246 - which I think is discontinued now) on setting 2, to trim the length down to less than 1/2" on the triangle. My gf likes the look of the short hair. I do too. As far as shaving, another tip I learned on a women's shaving website is to first put regular hair conditioner on the area to be shaved, and then cover with shaving cream or gel (gel works better for me) prior to shaving. This process eliminates razor burn, ingrown hair, red bumps, etc... I have been doing that for a year now and it works. And I have found more women are totally into having their guy shave down there than not.