Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

In this Discussion

Epididymitis anyone?
  • friday77
    Is there anyone else here who has had problems with epididymitis (testicle pain) possibly associated with prostatitis? Have you found that prostate massage or kegel exercises have helped or worsened the condition? I saw that Darwin make a comment on this subject in this thread.

Yes, this sounds like a question to ask a doctor, but I have already spoken to two doctors (including a urologist) about this. One doctor diagnosed it as epididymitis, while another doctor diagnosed it as “peripheral pain” associated with prostatitis. I could probably find a doctor to tell me anything that I want. I thought that I’d check with this community for their opinions.

I have a history of prostatitis that is managed fairly well through periodic prostate massage. Massage using an aneros device or a small slender vibrator works very well to nip a flare up early. Periodic massage also seems to prevent any flare ups. However, I often get testicle pain as an early symptom, and sometimes I’ll have testicle pain without any prostate symptoms at all.

Prostate massage works wonderfully as a treatment for prostate symptoms. It seems to help sometimes for the epididymitis, but maybe not for others. The epididymitis flare ups can be caused by:
    • Drinking too much coffee without water
    • Antihistamines
    • Infrequent orgasms (more than 2-3 days between orgasms)
    • Too frequent orgasms (more than 1-2 orgasms/day)
    • Doing kegel exercises without an aneros (or some other form of prostate massage)
    • Exercising my legs without adequate underwear support
    • Having a BM shortly after an orgasm

Epididymitis symptoms seem to be improved or prevented by:
    • Wearing supportive underwear (2xist Contour Pouch brief and 2xist thong are excellent)
    • Prostate massage w/orgasm
    • Orgasms every 1-2 days

Is there anyone else here who has similar symptoms? Do you have anything to add about prevention or causes? Thanks!
  • newguy8762
    I used to get this a lot in my 20's and early 30's...to the point where I had blood in my seamen several times (not attractive at all). I'd get pain in my testicles after sex and it seemed to go away. I used to have frequent sinus infections and I read somewhere that sinusitus could travel to the prostate and back. Don't know if that's true or not but it did seem to happen around the same time. I moved to a different climate, had fewer sinus infections as a result and this eppidiymitus (sp?) cleared up. I think clearing the pipes out regularly helps (i.e. more frequent ejaculations). Hope you feel better soon.
  • nurselady
    Epididymytis... is an inflammation of the epididymis. Most common symptoms are testicular pain, swelling, sometimes even redness can be noted. It usually has a slow onset. The most common cause is infection. However, in sexually active men - many cases are due to Chlamydia, Gonorrhoea or E. Coli. In those cases with E. coli it is usually caused by a urinary tract obstruction. It can also be a side effect of an anti-arrhythmic, heart medication called Cordarone.
    Treatment is usually with Cephalosporins or Doxycycline. Pain killers such as an anti-inflammatory are often utilized.
    It is more common in young adolescent males, elderly men, and homosexuals.
    There can be more serious side effects with the infection such as torsion of the testicle.. a medical emergency. Abscesses, permanent damage and the risk of the infection spreading to other parts of the body are possible.
    Nurselady
  • Love_isLove_is
    Hello friday77, :)

I used to get some testicular pain that my doctor diagnosed as associated pain from prostatitis. Since I've been actively using Aneros prostate massager's, I've yet to have this issue, or any prostatitis issues return.

Love_is
  • MartyB
    Hi friday77, is your pain localized to one testicle or is the pain equal in both? Is the pain always contained in the scrotal sac?

About 10 years ago, I think I had a mild case of a twisted testicle. I was a bit enthusiastic while behind an ex-gf, it must have been hot n' heavy and they were hanging low. I should have been wearing an athletic supporter! After a warm bath and a lot of attention, I was able to ease the pain and everything returned to normal.

I do, on occasion, still have problems today. I've felt a slowly growing sharp pain in one testie and the right ductus deferens when bringing my legs up to a 90 degree angle or bending over while standing. The pain temporarily goes away when straightening myself out. After a fair amount of testicle attention, I am usually able to remedy this and there is no pain in any position. I've considered wearing an athletic supporter in my sessions to see if this will maintain the adjustment and prevent twisting during my sessions. Perhaps this answers the question in this thread.

I also find that while in a session on my side, if I don't have a pillow or something between my legs, I will get a generalized pain in my testies. This may be due to pressure on the testies, but sometimes I'm not so sure.

I'm 32, 6'1" 215 lbs. I don't have a history of prostatitis, UTIs or sinus infections. No surgeries or medical procedures of any kind. I don't move around much in a session, perhaps this is why.

Enjoy the journey,
    Marty
  • newbie2009newbie2009
    Vasectomy in the last few years? Getting serious about wearing a jock or athletic briefs for even moderate exercise helped me. I think though that it's important to 'let'em hang' (wear boxers) when one is not exercising -- particularly as an E.D. prevention strategy. My Urologist stresses the value of boxer shorts.
  • artformartform
    From time to time I get a swelling, as if a chickpea has been inserted inside the sac near the top of a testicle, but there is no pain associated with this. They go down in a few days usually. I visualize sending Killer-T Cells in to neutralize anything, and Macrophage Cells to clean up the mess. They are quite efficient assistants! :wink: :D

As discussed in other threads, I regularly treat my BPH and occasional prostatitis now using Aneros massages!

all the best genital health and massage treatments all

artform
  • friday77
    Thanks everyone for the responses. It’s informative to read about other experiences.

I’ve never had blood. It first began during a prostate infection before I had ever had sex, so I don’t think that it’s STD related. I have had a few really unpleasant flare ups, but it’s usually not too bad, and flare ups rarely rise above nuisance level with massage/orgasm/underwear treatment. From what I’ve read, it sounds like mine may be a “chemical epididymitis” where the valve in the prostate doesn’t always firmly close, allowing small amounts of urine to occasionally flow where it shouldn’t. Maybe I got some scar tissue during first prostate infection.

Vasectomy in the last few years? Getting serious about wearing a jock or athletic briefs for even moderate exercise helped me.

That seems to be my experience as well. This is the first that I’ve heard about boxers being a preventative measure against ED.

I haven’t had a vasectomy, though I have heard conflicting information about epididymitis and vasectomies. I have read accounts of where a vasectomy CAUSED long term chronic pain, and I have read that a vasectomy might PREVENT epididymitis. I’m not sure what to think.

I’ve tried several brands and types of underwear, and the 2xist Contour Pouch brief and 2xist thong are probably the best that I’ve found so far. Calvin Klein Body Hip briefs also just as good, but they cost about twice as much. They all give a gentle lift and support from the bottom of the pouch, but the pouch is roomy so that it doesn’t crush like tight underwear does. I normally wouldn’t be caught dead wearing a thong, but they work wonderfully for this purpose. They make my wife chuckle.

Prostate massage always seems to help, but kegel exercises seem to aggravate it.
  • BusterBuster
    Hi Friday77,

I have had epididymitis in the past but was lucky enough to get over it. I have no clue as to what caused it but there was a real possibility that it could end up being a long term issue. As I recall, I was put on some kind of antibiotic and was told to have as much support as I could when I exercised. What I ended up using was one of those terry clothed wrist bands that you would see tennis players wear and wrapped it around down there and it seemed to have a lifting effect. As I remember it was at least six months before I felt I was over it. I was just so thankful that it seemed to fade. It is painful stuff.

Good luck to you.
  • newbie2009newbie2009
    friday77 said:

.... “chemical epididymitis” where the valve in the prostate doesn’t always firmly close, allowing small amounts of urine to occasionally flow where it shouldn’t. ...... but kegel exercises seem to aggravate it.

That tiny trickle of urine has happened, perhaps 5 or 6 times in my whole life. Very painful searing burn. :shock: :!: :!: First time was age 15, came out of nowhere. Once after intensive Kegels, two years ago. Otherwise random event, about once a decade. No clues as to probable cause and never associated with an STD.
  • nervetweak
    I have prostatitis with testicle pain plus other symptoms, In my case doing kegels makes things a whole lot worse, I think you should definitely stop doing them

when using the aneros use very gentle contractions focused more on the anal muscles. At least thats what I do, however I dont use the aneros too much right now
  • darwindarwin
    i suffered for years with epididymitis. boy did it suck suck suck. i was prepared to have my right ball cut out.

it is now *way* improved.

there are many possible causes. in my case, it all started from acute infection, in which my scrotum got very swollen. after it was treated with antibiotics, the pain stayed.

after years battling it, what finally brought it under control is:
    - the Headache in the Pelvic book
    - getting physical therapy as described in that book
    - going on a low dose of Nortriptyline for a year or two
    - *relaxing* my pelvic floor when i have sex. i can't emphasize enough how important this is
    - changing to boxers so that i don't mash my balls and hit the sensitive spot in my right ball
    - using a crystal wand deluxe to press on trigger points in my interior pelvic floor muscles when i am sore, as described in the HIP book.
    - another book: Healing Pelvic Pain, which i highly recommend.

i do not think that prostate massage itself will help this.

nor do i believe that ever more antibiotics will. i personally subscribe to the "muscular tension" theory as described in the Headache in the Pelvis book.

darwin
  • friday77
    newbie2009 and nervetweak, thanks for sharing your experience with kegals and epididymitis. It seems that kegal exercising will aggravate the condition for lots of people.
  • friday77
    Darwin,

Thank you very much for the info about your experience. I’ve found both of those books at Amazon.

I found an interesting page about the crystal wand here.

I’ve had very good results using a vibrator that looks virtually identical to the “Dr. Joel Kaplan Prostate Massager” (mine is a solid color, though the shape looks identical). I suspect that results of my vibrator may be very similar to those produced by the crystal wand. I’ve assumed that the benefits of the massage was due to prostate drainage, but maybe myofascial release may be an important factor as well.
  • I battled w/ epididymitis for years and went to doctor after doctor about it until I finally found a Urologist who told me what to do to prevent it . . . drink plenty of water (what do you think God gave us all this water for?) and "drain the system" every two days.

He told me that if my wife wasn't interested then I needed to take matters into my own hands. It was pretty neat to have a doctor prescribe masturbation!

I followed his advice and have not had problems for over 20 years!
  • Epididymytis... is an inflammation of the epididymis. Most common symptoms are testicular pain, swelling, sometimes even redness can be noted. It usually has a slow onset. The most common cause is infection. However, in sexually active men - many cases are due to Chlamydia, Gonorrhoea or E. Coli. In those cases with E. coli it is usually caused by a urinary tract obstruction. It can also be a side effect of an anti-arrhythmic, heart medication called Cordarone.
    Treatment is usually with Cephalosporins or Doxycycline. Pain killers such as an anti-inflammatory are often utilized.
    It is more common in young adolescent males, elderly men, and homosexuals.
    There can be more serious side effects with the infection such as torsion of the testicle.. a medical emergency. Abscesses, permanent damage and the risk of the infection spreading to other parts of the body are possible.
    Nurselady

This is what my doctor told me when I went to the hospital because of intense pain. I already knew what the problem was before I went to the hospital. The problem turned out to be testicular torsion and not Epididymytis, but after after reading your post I have second thoughts as to the CAUSE of the torsion.

I was preforming a prostate massage the night before the morning I woke up in pain. I knew that the torsion happened in my sleep, but did they wrap around each other because of pleasurable "trauma". The doctor disregarded the prostate massage as the problem "sort of".

It's funny.
    He asked me why was I doing a prostate massage. I said because it was fun.