Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

In this Discussion

Pass the "Talking Stick" . . .
  • hlaser99hlaser99
    Support,

One remedy for Rumel's "Disappointment Post" items after the last chat #2 was this:

"• It is difficult to follow differing posters input when it is being interrupted by other posters input."

One Remedy: Is for the Moderator to offer the "Talking Stick" to one of the chat members and he can then either take it or pass it along, in which case the Moderator offers it to another chat member.

This method is used quite successfully in KSMO chats!

A little History:

The talking stick has been used for centuries by many American Indian tribes as a means of just and impartial hearing. The talking stick was commonly used in council circles to designate who had the right to speak. When matters of great concern came before the council, the leading elder would hold the talking stick and begin the discussion. When he finished what he had to say he would hold out the talking stick, and whoever wished to speak after him would take it. In this manner the stick was passed from one individual to another until all who wished to speak had done so. The stick was then passed back to the leading elder for safe keeping.

Try it . . . it works well!

Hlaser99
  • bonerownerbonerowner
    This is 2008 - I think that most people should be able to follow a few spokes of a conversation in online chat. The "talking stick" may work well in person, but I would personally find it stifling to have such a rule imposed in an online chat.
  • BusterBuster
    I would have to agree with hlaser99 on this one. Without some kind of organization, a chat session can get too crazy. Like he mentioned, the talking stick philosophy is used over on the KSMO chat sessions and it works quite well. It gives everybody a chance to get their point across and get feedback on it without getting stepped all over. It is because it is 2008 that we need to have the organization.

Just my 2 cents
  • bonerownerbonerowner
    Well, I can see that I will probably be in the minority on this, but I still tend to think that type of structure to the chat would be awkward in the long run. I have been at meetings and discussions where the talking stick method was used, but it seems to me that it only works well if many people have things they want to get off of their chest, or pontificate about, and then the stick is passed along for the next person. In a chat like this there will be many newbies, and how do they benefit from having the talking stick? The newbie gets handed the virtual talking stick, and they ask a question - a person has the answer so they get the stick and answer it - then the stick is passed on to the next person etc. - it all seems too stifled, but as I said I guess that is maybe just me or my vision - I have never attended a KSMO chat, so if that is how they do it, and it works well, then maybe that is the way to go this time and see how it works out. It's not that big of a deal how the chats are organized - I just appreciate the ability to have the chance to attend.
  • hlaser99hlaser99
    bonerowner,

The chats are "mostly" for newbies!

So, when the newbie has a question, anyone can answer it!

With a "May I" or the Moderator can ask who would like to answer the question???

More natural than it sounds!

It's more like being "polite" or like "giving someone the floor" to speak . . .

Hlaser99
  • bonerownerbonerowner
    hlaser99 said:

It's more like being "polite" or like "giving someone the floor" to speak . . .

Well, I attended the last chat, and honestly did not feel that anyone was impolite, or that anyone who wanted to say something was not able to do so using the looser structure of a normal online chat.
  • Hi Hlaser, Bonerowner,

We tried to add a bit more structure to the last chat event and it seemed to work out well. There are of course occasions where two people happen to type something at the same time and temporarily there were a couple mini-threads of discussion, but in the end it worked out very well.

Let's see keep things the way things are while again adding a bit of structure.

thanks,
    Aneros Support