Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

In this Discussion

Better results with lubes with glycerin?!
  • JayD
    I haven't had a Super-O yet, but I've had pretty good results using lubes such as KY and WET Gel. Even though with these lubes I had the urge to purge after insertion, those sensations go away after a few minutes and get replaced by contractions.

I recently tried Maximus lube which everybody talked so highly of in this thread, and as everybody knows, Maximus doesn't contain glycerin. However I've had little results with this lube, so I went back to use Wet Gel and I'm able to get contractions again.

Do you think glycerin is helping with added stimulation?
  • skeeter_gskeeter_g
    Hi JayD,

Every person is different, and lube is a huge issue here in this forum.

If I were you, and if the glycerin does not bother your rectum or bum... go for what works best for you.
    I don't think it is the glycerin that is helping you to get some good results, it is the overall make up of the lube itself.

IMHO I don't think that glycerin is very good for your body, but, nobody has any real long term data to prove it.

If you feel maybe you need something more natural, try and check out some additional lubes others have talked about here on the forum or wiki.

You will ultimately settle on what best works for you, and you will find your Super-O !!
  • JayD
    I'm curious, do you suspect that glycerin is a harmful product?
  • Virg
    Hi JayD,

Glycerin is vegetable based, if I am not mistaken. On the surface, that would seem to calm one's fears of it being harmful. The problem is that in this activity it is hard to compare "apples to apples"...

LIquids are absorbed into the bloodstream 8x faster than normally, AND, there is no digestive process to break liquids down. So, glycerin may be vegetable (healthly stuff) based but without going through the digestion process, MAYBE, it has harmful components in the manner we are using it.

I wish there was research and data available on but I have not found any...

I use coconut oil and still have concerns but not as many as if I used water-based lubes...

I hope this is helpful...

Virg
  • B MayfieldB Mayfield
    To All,

I have to say that despite everything that I and others have written about glycerin to the contrary, the idea that it may be unhealthy for human consumption has taken on the dimension of an urban myth here in the forum.

I don't think glycerin is very good for your body, but, nobody has any real long term data to prove it.

To set the record straight, KY arguably the first personal lubricant containing glycerin was introduced in 1917. That right, it's been around for almost a century! In addition to it's application as a personal lube it has a long history of use as a surgical preparation and is approved for use with infants as well. Is it possible that there is something looming out there with respect to long term use? Well anything is possible, but at this point with so many decades of use world-wide, it's rather unlikely.

Regarding the metabolism of glycerin...the body breaks it down into glucose....that is, the six carbon sugar that is the basic currency of energy in the human body.

Know also that glycerin has been used in foods and confections for decades (and continues to be to this day).

That said, there will undoubtedly be those rare individuals that have a reaction to it....( in the same way that certain people are allergic to many other benign substances )

What IS true is that glycerin can produce a purgative effect for some people. This is fairly well documented here in the forum and elsewhere. Often this can be negated by scaling back on the amount of lube that is used, switching to a thicker jelly formulation and/or avoiding positions that would tend to allow liquids to flow back into the colon. Of course this "side-effect" occurs in varying degrees as well, with some individuals experiencing nothing and others having mild to moderate cramping. Clearly, if you're in the latter category (and the workarounds listed above are ineffective) then glycerin based lubes are probably NOT for you. Outside of that, the decision over whether or not to use a glycerin based lube comes down to a personal preference.

JayD, I suspect that your results with the ID Glide are a function of the lubricity of this product more than anything else. Some people find glycerin based lubes more slippery than the propylene glycol containing preparations (Maximus).

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that glycerin containing lubes are the do all or end all of personal lubrication, but that they seem to have taken a beating here as of late...without provocation.

BF Mayfield

p.s. For more information on lubrication check out the the WIKI.
  • Mindgasm
    Well said Brian.

Back on the topic originally posted, I just picked up a bottle of Probe at the local Walgreens (nice they had it in stock and didn't have to mail order it) which has vegetable glycerin in it. I had been trying a non-glycerin lube with good results for a while, but the Probe really seemed to be more slippery and I ended up with good session results. I don't necessarily take this to mean that glycerin is more slippery per se, just that it seems to work better for myself. YMMV. Plus I do not experience purgative or other effects when using it.

I also experiment with coconut oil but use that more for internal pre-lubrication (see threads on here regarding freezing it and letting it thaw inside), with the Probe used to coat the aneros. As mentioned elsewhere here, Probe can be rather "stringy". When you add some to the Aneros it will tend to form long strings back to the bottle, it can be hard to fully get rid of these. You kind of end up with tiny strands of lube cris-crossing on you if you're not careful.