Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

In this Discussion

"Time Out" time frame and font size options...?
  • Virg
    To Support -

What is the "time out" period?

I have lost more time, and "input", more times than I care to count. I am not dim-witted...I just have never been able to master touch type, hence, "hunt & peck"...

Please, post the "time out" period, as a reminder for memory-challenged posters and first timers, or, more promiently, if it is already noted somewhere...

Also, as an aging adventurer, the previous forum format was nice since I could enlarge the font size...making for easier reading. Have I missed that option in this new format, or can it be added?

Thank you
  • darwindarwin
    virg-

suggestion for you: if you want to write a long post, do it in a text editor like NotePad (turn off Word Wrap). then you can paste it into the forum.

darwin
  • Virg
    Hi darwin, I have done that in the past...when I have lost a submission, which is when I usually think of it !!! The olde memory fades as the years go by...
  • Hi Virg,

if you log in with the "Log me on automatically each visit" checkbox set, the system should deliver you a cookie that (I think) should allow you to refresh your session without loosing any written text. I'm not totally sure, though - will have to test it with an edit on this post :)

Cheers,
    wired

[Edit] I've let two hours pass between writing and posting this edit. On first click on Submit I got the message "Invalid Session. Please resubmit the form.", and still had my text in the text box. So it works :)
  • TripperTripper
    Virg,

In any case, Virg, we are all anxiously awaiting your two page post!

Trip
  • Virg
    Hi Trip - Done! Check it out and add your thoughts!
  • B MayfieldB Mayfield
    Yes, this can be mighty frustrating. I've had this occur several times until I realized that it was essential to first copy the text prior to submitting IF it had taken me a while to create a post. One other thing that I noticed is that even if you get the "timed out" message you can still go back a page to find your work. Again, COPY it, sign in, then paste it to the thread of choice.

The other alternative is to follow Darwin's suggestion by creating the document with some kind of word processing application, then copy and paste to the forum. Of course you will still have to add italics, bold, underline, colors and/or other means of highlighting words when the document is in the forum.

On a side note, I had a rather lengthy post that was ready to go tonight myself when the power went out in my home (from a passing storm). Unfortunately all was lost as I hadn't yet copy the work. Them's the breaks!

BF Mayfield
  • darwindarwin
    [quote=B Mayfield]I had a rather lengthy post that was ready to go tonight myself when the power went out in my home (from a passing storm). Unfortunately all was lost as I hadn't yet copy the work. Them's the breaks!

doh! yeah, that's another reason to use a word processor. most do automatic saves every once and a while.

darwin
  • Hey ALL!

Here in Florida, there are brown outs and power outages on a regular basis, especially during hurricane season.

So, I have always connected a U.P.S. unit (Uninterrupted Power Supply...basically a huge battery) to my computer. Gives you plenty of time to save and shut down your computer, while the rest of the house is without power. (Also surge suppressors, for power spikes)

Just a thought???

Hlaser
  • Virg
    Thanks guys for the suggestions! I was just hoping Support ("Hello? Anyone out there"?) could share the "time out" period on their website.

I know about "cut & paste" but it is not my habit to use it routinely... Replies on the forum usually do not take that long but when repling to a subject, it is not uncommon for issues to overlap. And, for a "hunt & ecker", the minutes slip by and, "poof", it is all gone. Then..., I remember... It would just be nice to know the window of time available...

Anyone know how to enlarge the font size? The old website had that feature which is nice for laptops and their smaller screens. And, before everyone starts to relate how change the font size on my computer, I do know how to do that. The simple one click that was here before was nice and easy...

Thanks again...
  • B MayfieldB Mayfield
    Virg,

I'm trying now to get clarification on all of these things from the webmaster. Be back to you soon as I get a response.

BF Mayfield
  • Virg
    BF - Thanks muchly
  • B MayfieldB Mayfield
    Virg and all,

The webmaster indicated to me that "time out" was originally set for an hour. It has been reset to just under 28 hours which should give everybody adequate time to generate and submit posts.

Regarding the font size, I have him looking into that. I'm of the understanding that most people would like it a bit larger, is that correct?

BF Mayfield
  • Hi Brian!

Make mine a tad larger and a bit more leading between the lines . . .

Thanks for asking,

Hlaser
  • Virg
    Thanks Brian!

Resetting the "time out" period to 28 hours is pretty huge compared to the previous one hour period, but, hey, I guess they REALLY DO want to know what we think, regardless of how long and bizarre we can get!

It would be very nice to be able to change the font size like the Forum was before. I believe there were three different sizes. I think that this is a bigger concern for those of us that use laptops...the screen is usually further away than if one is sitting at a desk. Also, with wi-Fi, different locations with varying lighting situations. Then, there is the aging eyesight that starts to drop off steadily after one hits 40 years old...

Thanks again Brian for your efforts!!!!!!!