Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

In this Discussion

Aneros use after prostate biopsy ?
  • rumelrumel
    Please see UPDATE at the end of this thread.

Hello all, Rumel here, I'm a newbie, 60yr. old male, I have just begun using the Aneros, and can see its potential for pleasure. Unfortunately, I just recently discovered that that I have an elevated PSA number of 8.1. My urologist has scheduled me for a needle biopsy in 3 weeks. The proceedure, as I understand it, does not take very long, has some discomfort/pain that may result in some bleeding that may continue to show up in urine/semen up to 4-6 weeks later. Hopefully, the test will be cancer negative. If so I would like to continue my path toward reaching the Super O and the pleasure states leading thereto, so I have some questions for the forum community.

Have any of the Aneros community had this proceedure done? If so

What were your post biopsy experiences?

Have you lost any sensual capabilities?

How long did you wait before trying the Aneros again?

Have any Aneros users been treated for prostate cancer and continued to use the device? If so, what have your experinces been like?

I know these are not pleasant issues to deal with but an open forum such as exists here can provide much needed first hand information.

Thanks, in advance, Rumel
  • B MayfieldB Mayfield
    rumel,

Although you may wish to wait for some users who have had some history of biopsy and/or cancer to respond, I would strongly urge you to run all of this by your treating physician, particularly if the results turn out to be positive for cancer. While this forum is frequented by many people of good intent, none of them are doctors and none of them can take the place of YOUR doctor in giving such advice.

If you don't wish to go into the sexual aspects of the device, you can tell him that you have been using a hands-free device for gentle prostate massage and would like to continue doing so. (The Aneros is sold under a different name the Pro State massager for that purpose.)

Good Health to You!

BF Mayfield
  • darwindarwin
    (this post was edited 2007-05-04 18:08:12)

rumel-

yeah, i had an transrectal needle biopsy (4.3 psa).

here is some very strong advice: you *must* have local anesthesia. and, they *must* wait about 10 minutes for it to take affect. discuss this in advance w/ your doctor. in my case, they gave me the Novocaine before the ultrasound because, they explained, they are so experienced in the procedure they don't need ultrasound guidance for the novocaine. therefore, it had time to saturate while i waited for and had the ultrasound.

if you don't wait for the local to settle in you can have pain. you can find accounts of this on the web. if it were done without the local i understand (second hand) it can be traumatic.

you might want your wife to bring some over-the-counter tylenol to pop while in the recovery room after the procedure to keep the incipient pain away before it comes on. you can't take other kinds of pain medicine because they thin blood and will make your internal bleeding worse.

they usually recommend 1 week before resuming sex. my uro asked me to wait 2 weeks before using the aneros.

there is some pain after but not too bad. (you'll know what acute prostatitis feels like).

i was wholly unprepared for the bloody semen reality. i expected some wisps of red. what i got was horror film deep dark thick blood pudding oozing from my dick, not a hint of anything other than blood. it lasted like that for weeks. (not everybody is the same on this). my wife literally almost fainted. (i, naturally, became somewhat fascinated by it).

my biopsy was negative. but, there is still a chance that future PSAs will force further biopsing.

as far as what it might be like after treatment, etc, i don't know. i don't know as we've ever had anybody here with that situation.

darwin

p.s. i agree with BF's advice to discuss the aneros w/ your doctor.
  • BusterBuster
    Hi Rumel,

Some sage advise from BF and Darwin. I have nothing to add other than good luck and good health to you.

Buster
  • happycamper
    (this post was edited 2007-05-04 19:03:41)

I didn't start using the Aneros until 6 month after my biopsy.
    I think the 4 week wait for my appointment was worse than the procedure, I started to worry and think the worse. So try and keep a positive attatude about it.
    I had very little extra pain after it, and only hints of blood in my semen.

Good Luck.

PS.
    Be open with your doctor about it.
    I have talked with my urologist about the aneros, he thinks prostate massage is good and could help, but he thought the aneros was to hard and suggested fingers or a soft vibrator. I told him I liked it and he was OK with my using the Aneros.
  • rumelrumel
    Thank you Darwin, BF Mayfield, Buster & Happycamper for your response/input. The biopsy proceedeure thing is a bit scary, though I know it is necessary. I will have more discussion with my urologist regarding use of the Aneros after the biopsy and results are in. I'll post to this thread afterward the results of my experiences for others information. Thanks again for the good thoughts. Rumel
  • litllered
    hi, litllered here, just joined and no success yet myself.(see my initial post) as far as biopsys go, i had 2 recently. 1st in late sept '06, which showed one area of high grade pin cells, pin is prostatic interepithelial neoplasia, or neoplastic cells, the high grade means they are rapidly growing. my urolological group shoots 10 holes in your prostate, i understand many do less than that and they're quite proud of it. anyway, may psa was 5.7 as i recall, and because of the positive result, my uro. repeated the biopsy in jan. this year. the 2nd one was normal, but my psa is on an uptick, around 7 this time, so he's watching me closely. i made a point of asking about prostate massage, and in particular the aneros, initially (after 1st results were in) said he would recommend against it, the theory being excercising & pushing fluids through the prostate might serve to spread anomalous cells around(this seems to be one of 2 opposing camps on this issue). i did some resarch and subsequently told him i thought the best way to regain & maintain prostate health was to excercise it! he caved and said he had to agree, and that during past decades bfore all the drug treatments, all they had was massage, and manual at that, which i understand could be quite painful. so i used the(helix) a few times, along with other self prescribed measures,(always kept him apprised) and jan. biopsy came back normal. regarding the other issues, they used a "gun" with 3 barrels(which they didn't want me to see at all)that has the ultrasound probe, the boipsy needle, and anesthetic needle. i'm no stranger to pain, but that was the most invasive procedure i've ever undergone, for the 2nd one, i took a valium and a vicodin before, needless to say it was less traumatic. pain continued for a few days and i agree with the other poster, ejaculation was a horror show for weeks. completely black then tapering off to bloody after 4 or 5 times. i made no attempt to use the aneros for two months, i'm just now getting around to regular(ok, semiregular) use.i saw my uro 5/1/07, drew blood, the results will determine whem the next biopsy will be. as i indicated in my 1st post, my biggest(sorry) issue right now is with erections, or lack of them. i don't get erect with this thing in place. even a cock ring doesn't help very much, but that's material for other posts. best of luck, let's both keep trying.
  • Edit

Originally Posted By: rumel
    Hello all, Rumel here, I'm a newbie, 60yr. old male, I have just begun using the Aneros, and can see its potential for pleasure. Unfortunately, I just recently discovered that that I have an elevated PSA number of 8.1. My urologist has scheduled me for a needle biopsy in 3 weeks. The proceedure, as I understand it, does not take very long, has some discomfort/pain that may result in some bleeding that may continue to show up in urine/semen up to 4-6 weeks later. Hopefully, the test will be cancer negative. If so I would like to continue my path toward reaching the Super O and the pleasure states leading thereto, so I have some questions for the forum community.

Have any of the Aneros community had this proceedure done? If so

What were your post biopsy experiences?

Have you lost any sensual capabilities?

How long did you wait before trying the Aneros again?

Have any Aneros users been treated for prostate cancer and continued to use the device? If so, what have your experinces been like?

I know these are not pleasant issues to deal with but an open forum such as exists here can provide much needed first hand information.

Thanks, in advance, Rumel

I understand your anxiety about the biopsy. I had an unltrasound guided needle biopsy back in March. I had about six weeks to worry about it before it happened. Biggest mistake I made during the wait was to search the internet about it. A lot of stuff on the net is just a bunch of bullshit, you really have to be careful about what you read there. All my reading did was just scare the shit out of me.

The probe the doctor will use if it's a TRUS proceedure is somewhat large so going in can be a little uncomfortable, just relax and let it happen.
    If doc is considerate he will numb you first. You didn't mention whether he/she plans to do that or not. The numbing involves injection of about 5 cc of lidocaine into the nerve bundles on each side of the prostate. Relax, it is not nearly as bad as it sounds. I felt very little discomfort from that. The numbing happens VERY quickly, so don't worry that the doc will probable start the biopsy right away. If he/she did the job right, you will feel the needle enter the gland but there shouldn't be any sensation of pain, at least there wasn't for me. The snap (noise) that the gun makes is the scariest part. I just about jumped off the table the first time but relaxed when I realized that it was just noisy and not painful.

Afterwards, there will be a fair amount of blood on your butt and on the table. Don't be shocked, it's normal. Follow your doctor warning though about no aspirin or ibuprofen (?) as drugs like these can cause thinning of the blood and excessive bleeding. Follow the after proceedure instructions carefullly. There was some ache after the lidocaine wore off but a couple of tylenol helped.

Tried jacking off a couple of days later and was SHOCKED at the amount of blood in my semen. The doctor didn't tell me one way or the other about abstaining form sex so couriousity got the better of me. I didn't do that again for a 7-10 days. I not a doctor so I can't give you medical advice but it would seem prudent to me not to use the aneros for several weeks if not more. After all, a needle biopsy is fairly traumatic to the gland and you should really give it plent of time to heal.

Thank God the pathology report showed no sign of cancer but that doesn't mean there isn't any. My doctor wants to redo my PSA again in about 4 months. The good news is that if I have to have another biopsy, I won't be all freaked out like the last time.

I know this reply is long winded but I hope it helps you. I know how scary it can be when the doc looks at you and says you have a one in five chance of having cancer and needs to do a biopsy.

I don't seem to have lost any gland sensation, feels just as good as it always did.

If you have more questions, repost and I'll try to help if I can.
    Good Luck!

Over50

• rumelrumel
    Thanks for the info. 'Over50', and you are right about some of the information on the internet being pretty scary. I did ask my urologist about use of an anesthetic, he said he would be using one (didn't say what kind) prior to useage of the ultrasound guided needle gun via the rectum. He said they would be taking 12 needle shots to get as wide a sample selection as possible for the biopsy examination. Maybe I should wear earplugs so I don't hear the gun go off and jump off the exam table, I'm glad to hear that your results were negative, that's encouraging.

Rumel
  • darwindarwin
    my doc was considerate enough to snap the gun once before the procedure to familiarize me with the sound.

it isn't loud. its like a loud crisp finger snap.

darwin
  • rumelrumel
    UPDATE : May 22, 2007, Well I had the biopsy proceedure done today, it wasn't nearly as bad as I had made it in my mind. I will get results in 10-11 days. I discuseed the usage of the prostate massager with my doctor, he gave me the semi-official hospital stance, namely, the hospital does not perform prostate massage as a medical proceedure because official studies have not found the proceedure to be particularily beneficial to prostate health, as such, they do not recommend or dissuade their patients from privately employing the procedure either through manual manipulation or via legally available commercial devices. In other words they allow the user to make his own choice. He did, however, recommend that I refrain from any prostate stimulation until the trauma from the biopsy was completely healed, he said that I would know it was healed when I had no more traces of blood in my urine or ejaculate (probably 3-4 weeks). I'll update this thread when I get the results of the biopsy back.

Thanks Guys for the feedback from my original post!
  • B MayfieldB Mayfield
    Keep us updated as you feel appropriate.

Be Well,

BF Mayfield
  • darwindarwin
    rumel-

ditto what B said.

darwin
  • rumelrumel
    Sometimes life can throw some ironic twists and turns at you.

4 months ago I found this site and was intrigued by what I read and subsequently purchased the 'Holiday Pack'. I continued my reading and trying my new toys employing some of the tips and techniques suggested in this forum.

3 months ago, following a blood test for a minor medical condition, I was found to have an elevated PSA count of 8.1. My doctor subsequently scheduled me for a prostate biopsy.

I continued learning/practicing with my Aneros in the meantime.

1 month ago, I was able to achieve a super-O on about my 16th session, a couple of days later I was able to have another super-O. The next day was biopsy time. I haven't been able to have an Aneros session since (allowing the prostate to heal).

Well, I got my biopsy results today and it turns out that I do have cancer. Where this is all going to lead I have no idea yet, but it's really depressing to be introduced to such a sublime experience, the super-O, and then be denied access to it by your own body.
    There are a great many emotional issues with which me and my lady are going to have to deal. I don't yet know what are all my treatment options, but hopefully I'll be able to keep my prostate intact so that some day in the future I'll be able to experience that super-O again.

For all you gentlemen who have healthy prostates, be thankful for the wonderous feelings it can provide you and cherish those experiences because they can be taken away far too quickly.

If any of you readers have overcome prostate cancer, I would be interested in hearing about how you have adapted/coped with the condition.

Good Vibes to All!
  • B MayfieldB Mayfield
    Posted by Rumel:

Sometimes life can throw some ironic twists and turns at you.

4 months ago I found this site and was intrigued by what I read and subsequently purchased the 'Holiday Pack'. I continued my reading and trying my new toys employing some of the tips and techniques suggested in this forum.

3 months ago, following a blood test for a minor medical condition, I was found to have an elevated PSA count of 8.1. My doctor subsequently scheduled me for a prostate biopsy.

I continued learning/practicing with my Aneros in the meantime.

1 month ago, I was able to achieve a super-O on about my 16th session, a couple of days later I was able to have another super-O. The next day was biopsy time. I haven't been able to have an Aneros session since (allowing the prostate to heal).

Well, I got my biopsy results today and it turns out that I do have cancer. Where this is all going to lead I have no idea yet, but it's really depressing to be introduced to such a sublime experience, the super-O, and then be denied access to it by your own body.
    There are a great many emotional issues with which me and my lady are going to have to deal. I don't yet know what are all my treatment options, but hopefully I'll be able to keep my prostate intact so that some day in the future I'll be able to experience that super-O again.

For all you gentlemen who have healthy prostates, be thankful for the wonderous feelings it can provide you and cherish those experiences because they can be taken away far too quickly.

If any of you readers have overcome prostate cancer, I would be interested in hearing about how you have adapted/coped with the condition.

Good Vibes to All!

Rumel,

As one who has not had prostate cancer, but has many relatives and friends who have, I know that you must be going through a tough time now, with a lot to consider.

GOOD VIBES TO YOU!

B
  • darwindarwin
    rumel, if anybody on this forum can show us leadership in the face of this problem, it would be you. your posts are always astute and wise.

my absolute best hopes and wishes for you as this unfolds.

one thing to remember: for any turn life throws us, we can let it beat us, or we can beat it and come out the better.

i understand the irony. please don't dwell on that.

here is something to keep in mind: the aneros is "addictive" in the sense that its presence reinforces desire for it, but so many people are very happy without it. so, if it turns out that you need a moratorium, move onto something else in your life that you can get absorbed in. last thing you need is to dwell on what you can't have.

again, best, and if you find it ok to stay on the forum (perhaps it would be best for you to put it aside for a while), keep us posted.

darwin

(p.s., i am partly writing this post to what may be a future me)
  • rumelrumel
    Thanks for the thoughts 'B.Mayfield & 'darwin'

'darwin' , your statement, "last thing you need is to dwell on what you can't have." is sage advice for many of life conditions. Thanks for reminding me to instead relish all the good things I DO have in my life, after all, I was reasonably happy about myself before the Aneros experience, I can be again.

I have mixed feelings about continuing to post on the Forum. On one hand, I feel that I got a pretty good understanding of the basic principles needed to achieve the super-O and would like to help other newbies get there as well. On the other hand, what is my credibility amongst users who may think that 'he can't practice what he preaches'.
    I hope to contribute meaningful snippets, now and again. I don't think the community wants to hear about prostate cancer treatments in this forum.

So much is unknown for me at this time, speculation is fruitless, but hope springs eternal.
  • grateful
    Rumel, Just want you to know, from your first entry into this forum, what a treasure you are; giving to others right from the start through your excellent posts and replies. I am praying and pulling for you as you go through this process. I know you will do this well and I am looking forward to the opportunity to stand with you (in cyberspace). I know you will keep us informed so we know how pray (or how ever else each of us extend our support). You are appreciated! grateful
  • BusterBuster
    Hi Rumel,

I just wanted to let you know that you are also in my thoughts and prayers as you continue with this challenge. Prostate cancer treatment has come a long way in even the last 5 years. Keep your chin up and as good of a positive attitude as you can. We are all pulling for you.

Buster
  • insearchof
    Hi Rumel,

I am late getting around to reading your post and I just want to add my best wishes for a speedy recovery.

My best friend just went through this and I want to recommend an outstanding book on the subject. It is by Dr. Patrick Walsh who pioneered the surgery to save the nerves which enable you to still get an erection if you decide to have the prostate surgery. Available from Amazon for about $12. It is very well written and has a ton of information. Make sure you get the second edition. The title is Dr. Patrick Walsh's Guide to Surviving Prostate Cancer.

My prayers are also with you during this difficult time.

insearchof