Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

In this Discussion

• saugatuck
    I asked a question a couple of weeks ago about not using my Aneros before going in for a PSA test. I stopped for 3 days and had the test the other day. My reading was 0.79. I am going to be 50 this September. Thanks for all you help.
  • Thats great.
    I wish my PSA was that low.
  • B MayfieldB Mayfield
    49 + years old, .79 PSA ...you could get mugged with a number that low!

LOL,

BF Mayfield
  • saugatuck
    Thanks guys, I am always worried about mine because my dad at 73 had a reading of about 5.00 and told the doc. to take his out. That scared me
  • darwindarwin
    hmmm. that doesn't really make sense.

5.0 for a 73 year old is normal. (and .79 is very low for a 50 year old. where are you located? is it possible that you are on a different scale somehow?)

i have never heard of removing a prostate because of an elevated PSA. the PSA is only a simple screen for cancer and does not by itself represent any diagnosis. the prostate would be removed if a biopsy showed severe cancer.

darwin
  • saugatuck
    He is just one that if anything is not normal he does not want to play around with it. He lives in the Detroit area. I live in Saugatuck, Michigan which is just below Holland Michigan. I moved here a year ago from Royal Oak, Michigan
  • darwindarwin
    sorry, that makes no sense.

first, 5.0 is normal for a 73 year old. look up "age adjusted PSA"

second, even if it wasn't, again, the idea of doing a major operation and incurring all the risk and loss of body function because of a flimsy blood test without any supporting known health issues is absolutely crazy. any doctor that proceeded with that would be seriously negligent.

it would be like removing your stomach because you burp a lot.

whatever you do, do not listen to your father about this.

i'm almost thinking this is a prank.

darwin
  • saugatuck
    Thanks Darwin. This is true. I called my Dad and asked him about this. He said they found some abnormal cells in his prostate. The doctor wanted him to go through treatments but he said he did not want them. This has been about 5 years ago when they took the prostate out and he is doing fine now. No more problems.
  • darwindarwin
    ok, so he had a biopsy. that makes much more sense.

there is a huge amount of discussion about how to handle prostate cancer. obviously, the most radical solution is to remove it. there are many other options, depending on the circumstances, including "watchful waiting" and various treatments.

the treatments (and the surgery) are getting better and better.

for me, the last thing i would want is to have it cut out.

(i am familiar with this territory as i have an elevated PSA)

darwin