Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

In this Discussion

Alternative to petroleum jelly / vaseline
  • Virg
    I have found an very nice alternative to petroleum jelly (vaseline).

It is called "Alba Un-petroleum, Multi-Purpose Jelly". I found it at Whole Foods but is probably available through someone on the web.

It states that it is, "Made without petrolatum, paraffin, mineral oil, artificial fragrances or parabens. Hypo-allergenic. No animal testing."

"Ingredients: Ricinus Communis (castor) seed oil, cocos nucifera (coconut) oil, beeswax, hydrogenated castor oil, tocopheryl acetate anf tocopheral (Vitamin E)".

Anyone see any ingredient(s) listed that should be a concern?

Their website is www.AlbaBotanica.com.

At this point, I think is great stuff but I will admit that part of that feeling is knowing it has not petroleum. It has a thick consistency but not as thick as petroleum jelly, which I think is good. It reminds me of thick honey...

I use it as a base coat for the Aneros. Typically, I warm up the Aneros by letting sit in a bowl of hot water, then take it out, dry it off, and apply the base coat. This product goes on easy, not in chunks like petroleum jelly.

Hope this helps...

"Why do drugs, when you have Aneros"?
  • B MayfieldB Mayfield
    (this post was edited 2007-03-25 20:07:23)

Virg,

I do see two ingredients that are of some concern, namely Castor Seed Oil and Castor Oil. These oils have been used for centuries as a laxatives. I seemed to recall when I was kid, one of the popular brand names was Fletcher's Castoria. I'm very familiar with the Alba products, and even have some of their hand lotion right now. While I trust that this Multi-Purpose Jelly product is likely safe for external use, I'm not sure if this is something that I would be using casually as a personal lubricant, particularly for anal or rectal play. Again, keep in mind that this product was formulated for external application.

BF Mayfield

P.S. Please disregard previous post re: Ricin. Cold pressed castor oil as is used for human consumption does not contain it. The mechanism of the laxative action of castor oil is preventing reabsorption of water in the colon.
  • Virg
    Thanks, Brian!

Just another example of how what appears on the surface SHOULD be OK, is not. Or, at least, needs a closer look...

Thanks again...
  • Edit
    B. May,

Is your apprehensiveness about the Castor Oil because you think it would produce a laxative effect similar to some people's response to lubes with Glycerin?

If so, that makes sense. Otherwise I'd think Castor Oil would be a safe ingredient. It's used externally for many ailments and internally not only as a laxative, but also for a multi-purpose healthful tonic, such as cleansing the liver.
  • B MayfieldB Mayfield
    LUbey,

Yes, the laxative effect was my concern. There are a great many people that are sensitive in that way. Glycerin is a case in point, although I've never really had any major problems with it myself...quite a few people in this forum have. I suspect that the same might be true for something like Castor oil that has been used specifically for its purgative effects for centuries. As you point out, it has been taken internally (orally) for different purposes as well. But then again, how much are we talking about....a teaspoon or two...and how much of it makes it all the way down to the colon.... over what period of time? The difference about "administering" something rectally, is that there is a potential that it could be refluxed (so to speak) back into the colon (shorter path).

If someone really wanted to try this, I would just say that they should be prepared for the possibility of the urge to purge. Above and beyond this, like I said before, perhaps it just me...but my preference is to stay away from preparations that are made for external use and haven't been adequately tested for internal uses.

BF Mayfield

• Edit
    Boy butter is the best lube that I have found (and I've tried lots of different kinds.
  • Virg
    (this post was edited 2007-03-27 22:08:58)

Having learned my lesson for assumming what APPEARS to be ok for a lube...here is what is on the Boy Butter website...

"Original Boy Butter Churn Style made it's mark due to the quality of the product and it's distinctive packaging, which mimics a butter tub and squeeze bottle. Boy Butter is an organic coconut oil based lubricant mixed with a an organic silicone, commonly used in hair conditioners. It is then blended into a creamy rich and totally washable cream lubricant. This formula is totally water soluble, stain-free, it is equally as gentle on the skin, edible and fragrance free. Boy Butter is so versatile it is often used by many professional massage therapists often because of the high grade coconut oil and that it is the easiest clean up ever. (Boy Butter Churn Style is oil-based and therefore should not be used with latex condoms)."

What stands out to me is the "...organic silicone...". I never knew silicone could be organic. Isn't it man-made?
  • Alexxx
    I don't know how MUCH of an ingredient it is, but you definitely don't want very much if ANY glycerin up your ass.

When administered rectally, even a tiny amount of glycerin will cause an extreme urge to have a bowel movement, even if there is nothing available to come out.

I remember as a kid finding some glycerin suppositories in the house. I remember instructions on the package saying to firmly hold the suppository (they were kind of long) and insert the tip into the anus and hold it there for 30 seconds. Well, being a curious kid it wasn't long before one of those was sticking in my asshole. Only took about 15 seconds before I was racing for the john.

Pete
  • B MayfieldB Mayfield
    Virg,

First, in chemistry the term organic generally refers to compounds containing primarily carbon and hydrogen. Such compounds can contain other elements as well, one of which is silicon. Organic compounds may be naturally occurring or man-made (synthetic). In the case of an organic silicone you have molecule that consists of a chain (polymer) of Silicon and Oxygen (the inorganic portion) with side groups that are organic, such as methyl or phenyl.

The ingredients of Boy Butter are as follows: Partially Hydrogenated Vegetable Oils, Glycerin, Polysorbate 60, Glyceryl Stearate, Phenyl Trimethicone, Glyceryl Distearate

What you have here is 3 different kinds of lubricants:
    1 oil based- Hydrogenated Vegetable Oil (Coconut Oil),
    1 Organic Silicone based-Phenyl Trimethicone,
    and 1 water based- Glycerin
    sandwiched between 3 emulsifiers;
    Polysorbate 60,
    Glyceryl Stearate
    and Glyceryl Distearate.

The emulsifiers are what enable them to whip this up into a thick buttery texture. I suspect that they are also responsible for the product being water soluable.

All and all a pretty interesting mixture. Although I'm not a big fan of silicone preparations this would seem to be a case of silicone light in that the clean up should be somewhat simpler....at least in theory. Some will still have issues with this on the basis of questions of Silicone assimilation and such.

No question, these guys have a novel marketing strategy here with the whole butter and butter tub packaging. If you're so disposed....let us know how it works out!

BF Mayfield
  • Edit
    I have had experience w/ the "urge" from glycerin...boy butter doesn't have this problem for me. I highly recommend it.