Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

In this Discussion

Spring loaded abutment tab mod
  • anonymous
    (this post was edited 2006-04-25 22:28:41)

This may sound like a strange one, but I have modded the Helix with a spring on the abutment tab. It is hard to describe what it feels like, but this mod is a keeper. It seems to keep a springy varying pressure (obviously) on your perineum the entire time, and makes the Aneros seem even more active with a "mind of its own." It seems to give the muscles that draw the Aneros in a constant resistance, which makes the muscles twitch more, inducing the involuntary contractions we all desire. I have used this mod once, and it is fantastic. I don't think I have had better super Os than I have with this mod. I am going to try it again tomorrow.

The spring is hot glued to the abutment tab. There is hot glue on the end of the spring also so the spring doesn't contact the perineum directly. Also, when I used it, I put a small piece of cloth on the end of that to ensure it was comfortably padded. The spring is 17mm long uncompressed, and 5mm compressed, with a diameter of 8mm. Each coil of the spring is 2mm apart. I am not sure how to explain the stiffness of the spring, but it can be easily compressed between my thumb and forefinger. I haven't even thought about experimenting with other spring sizes or stiffness, as it feels like the first one I tried is perfect. I have the spring angled a little bit downward, to ensure it compresses in a straight manner, and also for me, my sweet spot is a little lower anyway. I did not have any problems of the spring bending to the left, right, up, or down when in use.

I recommend it for anyone that is adventurous. I think it will be staying on mine permanently. Good thing is, if you don't like it, you can pull/cut off the hot glue and take the mod off, or redo it. Links to pictures below (quality not the best, since it was with my 1/2 megapixel cameraphone.)

Helix spring abutment mod full view:

http://i3.tinypic.com/wi0z6d.jpg

Helix spring abutment mod zoomed in:

http://i3.tinypic.com/wi11td.jpg

Makers of Aneros, feel free to incorporate this idea on future versions. If anyone has any questions, I will check on this post and reply when I can. I thought of this because I originally just extended the tab using hot glue, since I didn't think the tab put much if any pressure on my perineum. This mod almost seems to make the tab self-adjusting of the right pressure to put on the sweet spot at any given time. If anyone else tries this, I'd like to hear your experiences with it.

• B MayfieldB Mayfield
    What type of spring was it that was utilized? Where did it come from? It appears (judging from the gauge of the wire) to be fairly firm...is that so? It would seem essential to establish the correct angle coming off the end of the tab. How did you arrive at that, was that random? It might be interesting to determine how this would work for an individual who already enjoys full engagement of the tab? In such case would it afford extra perineal stimulation or detract from the mobility of the massager?

I'll have to give it a whirl at some point Good work!

Intriguing,

BF Mayfield
  • anonymous
    The spring was by itself (actually two identical ones), found among other screws and nails I had in a toolbox, but I don't know the exact origin. I would imagine a variety could be bought at a hardware store. Next time I am in one, I could go figure out about the right type and specify an approximate one with whatever rating they have for stiffness and sizing.

As far as the angle, I came up with that just guessing based on experience the angle that would push straight down on the spring, and not cause it to bend sideways/up down. It seems my guess was right the first time I did it, and I did not need to readjust.

As far as decreasing/increases the mobility, to me it increased it. Since there is a constant resistance, the muscles involved created an almost vibrating feel as they tried to keep the Aneros in, but the spring trying to push it out, since it is applying force in the opposite direction. I can't explain it much better than that, so to discover what it feels like, you might have to try it yourself.
  • anonymous
    (this post was edited 2006-04-26 12:58:46)

Using digital calipers, I have determined the thickness of the wire in the coil of the spring I used is .7mm.

They rate the springs at the hardware store in 3 things, the length, the diameter, and the thickness of the wire. At my local hardware store, I didn't find any exact matches of the one I used, but there were some that were similar that might work.
  • anonymous
    I used it again yesterday, and all I have to say is, once you go spring loaded, you will never go back. I really think I have the perfect spring though, so results may vary.
  • anonymous
    So is anyone willing to try it? I would like to hear some feedback. If you get it setup correctly, I assure you, you won't be dissapointed.
  • Edit

Originally Posted By: anonymous
    So is anyone willing to try it? I would like to hear some feedback. If you get it setup correctly, I assure you, you won't be dissapointed.

i have tried a spring, but it was not the right fit, too "heavy", so the MGX stayed too far out. But i am defnitely searching for better springs! interesting feature. i will let you know
  • anonymous

Originally Posted By: paolo
    i have tried a spring, but it was not the right fit, too "heavy", so the MGX stayed too far out. But i am defnitely searching for better springs! interesting feature. i will let you know

It might work best with the Helix, because in my experience, the Helix abutment tab barely touched my perineum in its default state. If the tab is already snug against the perenium, there might not be a lot of room for the spring to be added.

I think I am going to try the spring mod on my Eupho this weekend.
  • giantE
    Very interesting........

I'd wonder about cutting off the "ball" of the tab, drilling a hole part-way through it, and then gluing the spring into the tab hole and onto the remaining end of the tab's finger. Would finesse the issue of covering the spring for comfort and would allow experimenting with different springs.

Time in the workshop is called for.