Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

In this Discussion

FFFFU - Tags
  • rumelrumel
    FFFFU (Facilitating Future Fellow Forum Users)

Guys,

While this new Forum is certainly posing challenges to the support people to try and meet our wishes for improvements there is something we can do to help ourselves in the future as well. Just below the Main Menu Bar there is the Secondary Menu Bar, the 3rd button is FAQ this could be the most helpful button you may find on the Forum. It is divided into three main information divisions - “General Forum Usage”, “Setting and Profile Features” & “Reading and Posting Messages”. I encourage all of you to start looking through these well documented pages that explain how to use and custom configure your viewing of this Forum, it is a real eye opener!

This new look Forum has many new potentials we could start exploitng now. One of the new features available to posters is the ability to assign “Tags” or keywords to individual posts. From the FAQ menu -
    ”What are tags?
    Tags are a useful way to search for threads with similar subject matter and content. This complements the normal search system, which searches only for certain words or phrases and/or posts by specific users.
    To use tags, you add words or phrases to threads to help describe the content. For instance, if the subject matter is 'photography' then you can add the tag 'photography' to the tag list. But you could also add tags like 'digital image', and 'camera' (depending, of course, on the nature of the thread).
    This will categorize this thread with all other threads that have matching tags, whether or not they have the word 'photography' in them.
    Who adds the tags?
    Tags are initially added to threads by the user who started the thread. Other users may also be able to add and remove tags.
    How do I use tags?
    Tags are displayed in a box near the bottom of a thread page. Clicking on a tag will allow you to view other threads that have the same tag - and which may be related. Clicking on the word 'Tags' in the top of the box will take you to an overview page with a 'tag cloud.' This cloud allows you to see which tags are the most popular - the larger the word, the more times it has been used on threads within the board. There is also another tag cloud on the advanced search page that shows you the tags that have been searched for (or clicked on) the most.”

I propose we establish a common list of tags and start using them now so future users can more easily find posts and threads containing useful topics. Hopefully we can create a central repository for a communal "Tag List" from which we can all draw. For example, in this thread I have added three "tags" - forum help, FAQ & tag help.
  • Love_isLove_is
    Hi Rumel, :)

Great idea with the tags! I was not even aware of them. If this will help relevant threads be found easier using the search function, then I'm all for it.

Speaking of which, is it possible for there to be an "Advanced Search" link near the current search box or button? As it stands now, there does not appear to be a way to directly get there without entering a search query, and then clicking on the word "search" within the forum path/hierarchy that sits below the search box. In addition, as you probably well know, my biggest gripe with the forum software here has been that it displays search results by most current date first, and then by relevance. And it really should be the other way around. This is how older posts get lost, and could partially be the reason why so many of the same questions get brought up. As most people don't want to sift through pages and pages of search results to find exactly what they are looking for. So can Aneros change this? Or at the very least, is there in option for myself to change the search results?

Since you brought up the Forum FAQ, here's a question I have for you or anyone that can answer it. I was curious what the benefit is to using the "Friend" feature? Naturally I've accepted friend status with people I know, and private message here, since the forum was upgraded. But I have no idea what the purpose is versus just private messaging the people I know like I have in the past. And the FAQ is not all that clear about it:

What is the difference between a friend and a contact?
    A friendship is a mutual, two-way relationship between two users. It is initiated by one user and accepted by the other.
    A contact is a one-way friendship. This could be where the other person does not accept the friendship, a friendship request is pending, or you do not wish to be friends at this time but want to show them as a contact only.

Thanks. :)

Love_is
  • artformartform
    Great advice, as always rumel!!! On most sites with the tags feature, there is a window that appears with the "Tag Cloud" an array of the tag words attached to the given topic, each shown in larger sizes depending on the total listings of that word by viewers posting tag words in that topic.

There are many wonderful new features already being indicated or newly available each day as things settle in with the basic functions here! There are also fantastic added custom possibilities if Aneros/Support adds the CMS functions that we are soon adopting with the same vB4 software over at Jack Johnston's KSMO site.

EDIT: Thanks again rumel. Made the visit to FAQ. Excellent instructions in those FAQ 3 Links on the many new features and how to access and easily use them! And the Tag Clouds will appear as described in the Tags Link in that detailed list in the 3 Links.

all the best enhanced community building and expanded communications possibilities all

artform
  • rumelrumel
    Love_is,

I am just beginning to learn about the capabilities and functions of this new software myself. I am sorry but I am not able to answer your question about what support can and can not add to this program regarding “Search” or other functions.

As regards the “Friends” and “Contacts” topic, It appears to me this software was designed to handle a very large number of people (both members and non-members) on a forum. As such there are bound to be incompatibilities between members and the public viewers. I think having a mechanism to limit exposure of personal information is a good policy. The “Friends” & “Contacts” is a way of providing some privacy filtering so you are not bothered by unwanted viewers.

If you click your “My Profile” >>> “Settings” >>> “Profile Privacy” (under My Settings on the left hand side) you will see a series of information categories about you that you can set the level of viewing opportunity by others visiting this site. By default “Everyone” may view your “Contact Info:”, “Profile Picture:”, “Visitor Messages:”, “Albums:”, “About Me:”, “Friends:”, “Recent Visitors:” & “Permission Groups”. But you can limit the viewing of each of these categories to one of four groups of people - “Everyone”, “Registered Members”, “Your Contacts” or “Your Friends”.

Being the private person I am, I appreciate being given the opportunity to choose the level of information I would like to share.
  • Thanks Rumel.
    I had seen the tags and added some to so important threads.
    I don't really know the function of the "Friends" feature besides fast access to ask a "friend" a question via PM.
    Bishop
  • Love_isLove_is
    Thank you for the explanation rumel. :)
    I guess this is similar to the way social networking web sites work that I've read about. As far as permissions to different groups to what they can view.

Love_is
  • rookrook
    I think the FFFFU tag can solve the Newbie Orientation Issue in one swoop! Very powerful and a stroke of genius on rumel's part.

Since Newb issues tend to fall into a small handful of categories, maybe we can refine this into a FFFFU-1, FFFFU-2 ... etc.

Editing the existing Nube sticky with an explanation or methodology might "frost the cake."